1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,813 Posts
We keep a barn light on at night.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
So the lights thing, some say they have a better day night schedule with sleep and production but really I never noticed a difference. What I do notice is that my goats flock to the light at night, they feel safer in the light lol. So i always have my lights on. NOW Chickens on the other hand definitely are affected my lights

·
Super Moderator
15,234 Posts
I have my lights on but it’s kidding season. Everything is fine but I noticed that before I had the lights on they were sleeping inside (unless raining) and now that the lights are on they sleep outside. I think what the issue is is they come and go as they please and with the lights on they can’t see out, and see possible danger. So they feel safer being out.
Now it’s not super cold here and I need that light so it is what it is. If your in a cold area and the lights are causing them to stay out and might make them sick then maybe no lights but I’m sure that hay entices them to stay in. I don’t feed mine where they sleep

·
Premium Member
4,430 Posts
Lighting can alter heat cycles and other hormone type cycles in the body. You can change the timing of a does delivery by feeding at certain times, you can bring does in heat by keeping them inside in minimal light, reflecting the shorter days of their natural rut etc. I work 12 hour overnights, so my son and DIL do final chores in the evening. They were leaving lights on in the barn all night because they would forget to shut them off in my back porch. My does were very late coming into heat, like some didn't start until October! Once I got the light issues taken care of, they all started cycling.

One year we had a really overcast, dark cloudy summer. All my dairy does responded by coming into their heat cycle, bucks into their rut in June. I had kids born on Thanksgiving, Christmas and Halloween!

·
Registered
429 Posts
I don't generally leave lights on in the barn. Though I do put a couple of heated barrels with the 125w bulbs in them in a couple of corners as the kids start coming for the few meat goats that keep their kids. They provide a little bit of light. I don't really worry about it too much because I started using my headlamp that I use when I backpack a couple of years ago. I can see to do what I need to do and I don't have to turn on the main lights or even have to have them. The one that I use with the goats even has a red light feature so that it doesn't mess with night vision and I can look straight at them without them being annoyed or bothered by the white light. Usually I use the white light when I'm doing my chores and then when I'm checking on everybody and petting and doing that stuff I use the red light feature.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don't generally leave lights on in the barn. Though I do put a couple of heated barrels with the 125w bulbs in them in a couple of corners as the kids start coming for the few meat goats that keep their kids. They provide a little bit of light. I don't really worry about it too much because I started using my headlamp that I use when I backpack a couple of years ago. I can see to do what I need to do and I don't have to turn on the main lights or even have to have them. The one that I use with the goats even has a red light feature so that it doesn't mess with night vision and I can look straight at them without them being annoyed or bothered by the white light. Usually I use the white light when I'm doing my chores and then when I'm checking on everybody and petting and doing that stuff I use the red light feature.
That's nice! i used to turn off the lights off but tonight the temperature will drop like crazy so this week i will offer them hay 24/7 to make sure they stay warm, that's why i'm keeping the lights on, i don't think they are used to walk around comfortably with no lights since the barn is big. After the storm i will keep an eye for predators, if they are being active at night(especially foxes, feral hogs, wolves) i prefare to keep the lights on because they were making some troubles around during the summer.

·
8,665 Posts
I am backwards- I feed, milk and are in the barn from 7 pm - 7 am or longer. So, lights are on all night and off all day! 12 plus generations of goats have had
that schedule- I doubt I could change now, even if I wanted to. During the day- there is light coming in through plexiglass upper dutch doors, but its pretty much
twilight inside. They have adapted really well. The bucks, in another barn- they do have a night light- if it goes off, they sure raise a ruckus! But, they are day creatures.
They can go out when ever- But they need their little night light!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts