The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
*Delete if not allowed, not sure if this is the right forum for this question

Has anyone been able to break even, or even make a profit with goats, in either the meat or dairy industry? Just curious. It is my dream to be able to have my own goat farm but obviously that isn't feasible unless you're able to make a profit.

Any advice, experiences, tips etc would be very appreciated!

·
Registered
896 Posts
A lot depends on management, herd quality, and number of gaots. I can only speak from the meat goat side, but once you have the expense of facilities paid for, and can control your operating costs, you can make a profit. You will need to figure out the minimum number of goats you will need to cover your operating expenses. Above and beyond that, you can start looking to make a little profit. It's useful to keep individual records on each goat to see which is most profitable and cull those which incur the greatest expense. When looking to make a profit, you have to think like a business person. That's where I have a hard time. Sometimes, I get too attached to a particular goat (especially my bottle babies). A pet goat will rarely make a profit. You can perhaps get some benefit from their offspring, but in the long run, you will find yourself spending more to pamper her and keep her happy rather than you profit from managing the rest of your herd. Typrically larger, well managed, healthy herds make more that backyard hobby operations. One of the biggest benefits small herds can bring are realized in being able to claim farm exemption on your property taxes. Small herds can profit from finding local, specialized markets which can demand a higher selling price for your animal or product. Education and prevention are your greatest tools in making a profit. In the end Income - Expenses = profit or loss

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Yes.

We raise ABGA registered boer goats, and we do make a profit or break even every year.

There are many different avenues you can take. That’s the nice thing about goat farming.

Key is to find healthy stock and to learn everything you can to keep that stock as healthy as possible. Never be afraid to wether and cull. Problem goats will only cost you more in the end. Finding a mentor could also really help!

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
6,210 Posts
Yes..you can. Do research in your area. What does best, dairy or meat? I raise Registered Boer Goats, Myotonics, and also mixed breed goats. Mine can go Breeding, show, meat, or pet. It helps me to be diversified and offer more than just one part of the goat sale.
I agree with all that has been said so far. Ive never dealt with Dairy..so I have no information on that.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It’s possible if you know your market and invest in your stock and facilities. For us, we started as a hobby and are now transitioning to a small business. We’ve been upgrading the quality of our goats these past few years and next year we plan to become a performance plus herd, doing milk testing and LA, and eventually showing. Registered goats sell for a lot more and their upkeep costs the same as unregistered. We’ll never make enough to live on without our day jobs, but when my husband retires he plans on expanding and getting into soap making too.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ours are a hobby that pay for themselves and about half the time they actually make a tidy profit too.
I have ADGA Alpines for show and milk, we sell doe kids, the occasional milker, and pack kids. We also have Boer/Myotonic crosses for meat. While feed prices have climbed this year so have market prices. 45lb kids are selling for $4.15/lb, 50-90 are at $3.50/lb, and 60-90 are $3/lb. The dairy wethers are kept through the summer and auctioned in the fall.

·
Super Moderator
32,281 Posts
Lots of good advice already but will add that A wise person once told me go big or keep it family size. Between big and family size you spend like a big herd but never get your return. My goal is to make enough to pay our property tax and feed the animals that feed us. Most years we do just that.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all so much for your replies and advice! In my area, CL is a hugeeee issue with goats so there are hardly any goat farms around. The only successful goat farm I know of around here is a lady breeding Nigerian Dwarfs, and she kids out around 15-20 does per year. She has said she can barely break even. However, she only sells kids, so I guess if you had multiple markets that may be different.
I'm purchasing a registered buck & doe later this summer and will be going from there. I have no idea how any of the breed registries or milk testing or registration stuff works, so my next step is going to be to learn as much as I can about those processes.

·
Registered
622 Posts
This is certainly the place to learn all of that!
My 2021 baby sales $ are going to....rebuilding the chicken coop!
It got moved around and drowned in the 2016 flood but I have been adding a bit of wood here, a piece of tin there keeping it in service ever since but it is time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts