The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

I am pretty new to go raising and milking and have what is sure to be a novice question for you 'experts' out there.

A couple days ago I noticed what appeared to be a blister on the teat of one of my does. The next day it was hard and rough to the touch, like a callous, and today it has the appearance of a scab. Just wondering if this sounds like something I should be worried about.

I googled everything I could think of and did a ton of reading, which didn't really help. Just made me nervous! My inclination is that it is simply a blister, but after reading about the other possibilities I am worried that it may be something less innocuous and wanted some advice.

I tried to post a picture, but couldn't. If you recognize what I have described, or have any advice whatsoever, your input will be greatly appreciated!

·
14,615 Posts
Are kids are still on her? They can make an ugly mess of teats with those sharp little teeth.

Oh! Welcome to TGS!

·
Registered
308 Posts
The little darlings have sharp teeth. I had this recently with one of my does, her 2 kids are RUDE to put it mildly.

I clean the teat with Hibaclens which will kill staph. I put some triple antibiotic ointment on it and penned her up at night away from the kids, they were about 6 weeks old by then. It finally healed up.

They are still rude, but she is only letting them nurse for a few seconds and kicks them off.

I like to scrub any kind of rash, blister, and right now, the ticks are bad and when I pull them off I scrub with Hibiclens. I rinse well and may do it for a couple of days. I also use the Witchs Brew concoction from BYH's. You can go there for the recipe.

DonnaBelle

1 - 3 of 3 Posts