The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is probably a silly question, but I'd rather ask a silly question than figure out the hard way... Anywho... When it comes to raising horses I've heard that freshly cut grass is not good for grazing for a horse until a couple of days later, is it the same thing for a goat? Is it safe for a goat to munch on freshly cut grass?

·
Registered
17,203 Posts
Yes, it's safe for them to eat out on pasture, and in the wild.
I don't feed my horses hay until dead winter. They eat pasture 24/7 until then. My goats have pasture all year too. The fresher the better I would say.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's great to know! Thank you :) I just had to ask because you never know sometimes :)
I bet my little buck will be happy to know that, too :) thanks again!

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
My does have access to pasture, but my bucks don't. So I pull weeds and grasses for them to eat :)

·
1,524 Posts
Just make sure there was no gas or oil dropped on it if you mowed it first an that there are no noxious weeds mixed in with the grass.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They are much healthier on fresh grass, because it still has all the vitamins and nutrients.
He really dug the fresh grass that we mowed yesterday... Actually, he was very excited when we were cutting it. That was the first time I heard him baa so much! I loved it!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I purposely don't use herbicides or pesticides, so i can feed weeds to the horses and goats plus my chickens are free range. I wouldn't want them to get into anything
Same here :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,839 Posts
ours don't like to eat freshly cut grass...they'd rather it be still on the ground. they do prefer fresh. especially banana leaves. they LOVE banana leaves, but only the freshly cut leaves. we harvested a bunch the other day, and i didn't have time to give the plant to them right away, and one day later i brought them to the plant that was cut down, and they scoffed at it.

i bet you yours will love bananas too. just keep him away from your plants or else you won't have any bananas anymore.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ours don't like to eat freshly cut grass...they'd rather it be still on the ground. they do prefer fresh. especially banana leaves. they LOVE banana leaves, but only the freshly cut leaves. we harvested a bunch the other day, and i didn't have time to give the plant to them right away, and one day later i brought them to the plant that was cut down, and they scoffed at it.

i bet you yours will love bananas too. just keep him away from your plants or else you won't have any bananas anymore.....
I haven't tried giving him banana leaves yet, but he adores the fruit.. And peel :) haha

1 - 14 of 14 Posts