The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat Lucille was disbudded when she was a baby and her horns have grown back, and at a fair I go to the dairy goats have to be hornless to be able to show. Someone I know said it's too late and another said that I could band her horns. Could I or could I not?

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

IMG_6153.jpg

P.S. I hope that this is the right place. If not, I'm sorry.

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Banding horns is long, slow and said to be very painful for the goat. Dehorning now may result in the sinus cavities being open holes. I am sure you will get more and better answers but this is what i know of the two ways you asked about now. I jave done neither to mine. They either have been polled, disbudded as kids or have intact horns.

·
Registered
30,594 Posts
while people do it..Dehorning is painful..risky for infection. Its not like disbudding where it's quick and over with. Dehorning take time to heal. Pain and bleeding ..for me..its not an option. Some band..again..long painful process and many end up with flat horn regrowth any way. Might check to see of tipping the horns will work for show. This you just snip the tip above the blood line and file it smooth. As long as you don't hit the wick..its not painful.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I botched my sons wethers disbudding big time with a junk iron and decided to band the horns since our fair we can’t have horns on a weather. It actually worked out really well! I can’t say there was no pain involved but by the way he acted I would say it was the same as banding to weather them. He was unhappy the first day, but he didn’t scream or cry or anything and then after that he was totally normal. The first horn I just found on the ground and the second one he did catch on the feeder and pulled it off (it was coming off any minute on its own anyways) and he gave a little cry and went back to eating. I can NOT say that long term the horns would or wouldn’t be coming back since he was a market weather and was gone at 7 months old but it did a pretty clean job when the horns first came off and didn’t leave a gaping hole like being fully dehorned. I defiantly will stick to disbudding but if I had to I would band horns again

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can’t thank everyone enough!!! I appreciate the time all of you put in to help me! Again, thank you all!!!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts