The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year participating in the ADGA linear appraisal program. I will likely have five eligible does by the time we're scheduled to be appraised in July. I initially planned on taking the does I'm required to have appraised plus a dry yearling I held over from last season. Now that I'm filling out the application I am wondering if there is value in having any of this year's doelings appraised? Between the five does set to kid I would anticipate around 6 doelings this spring. They would be 3-4.5 months old at time of appraisal. Just curious if there are folks who see the value in dragging the little screamers along as well?

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
This is my first Year aswell.. I'm being a host herd so will have all my animals here... I will be doing a YSA on a buck kid and a dry yearling... The rest of the kids won't be 4months by the time we are appraised in June so I'll only have 2. I figure I have them here so why not? But bringing them some where else I may have left them home.. But it is also, I think, nice to hear opinions on your young stock too... Kinda a toss up for me... If you have the means t get them there, why not?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is four months the minimum age? I have a doe kidding next month and would love to keep a buckling out of her with this breeding so it may be worth bringing him...

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
They have to be at least 2 months old and must be registered. Whether it is worth it or not is up to you. Some breeders won't waste their money on young stock since it isn't a score that is published anywhere for all to see and kids can change so much. If you just want to have it done to see how they score and what the appraiser thinks then it is worth it to you. If you are having difficulties choosing who to sell and who to keep, then it may be worth it to get a second opinion. I've had mine done partly to have more to do so when I pay the minimum stop fee I am "getting my moneys worth" so to speak and also because it can help me see any faults they may have that I didn't notice.

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
They changed the age to 4months from what I was told by multiple breeders...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts