The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe Pippi had some issues with staph this past year. Nothing too major, and I think it was caused by her immune system getting overtaxed. I have addressed what I believe to be the underlying issues there, so hopefully, her next freshening will be better. But I thought it might be wise to give her Lysigine, too. My questions about that:
Is it OK to give it while she's pregnant?
I believe I can just follow instructions on the bottle, even though it's for cows?

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure.
I have been searching around the Internet. Can't find a lot of info. I am thinking, since it's a shot specifically for lactating cattle, and it's supposed to be boostered fairly often, it should be fine. But I am a little hesitant.

·
Fair-Haven
4,821 Posts
Maybe it would be better to do before they become pregnant since lactating and pregnant are 2 different things.
Typically it's done before breeding. 2 cc sub q prior and a booster 21 days later . Although I do know of some breeder that do one month prior to kidding and a booster 3 weeks later. You can vaccinate young does at 6 months - then a booster and annually thereafter. If you check out Goddard farms complete protocol I believe he has it on his site. If not , he seems to be someone who may be up for your questions

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, guys! I consulted with an experienced goat person who uses Lysigin, and she recommends not using it while the doe is pregnant. So I guess I'll wait til she freshens before I start her on it.
@goatblessings thanks for sharing the protocol! I think I will wait til after she kids, just to be extra safe, but I appreciate you directing me to the Goddard site. There's some interesting reading on there!

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problem - I'm reluctant to give anything much during pregnancy. Noah is a wealth of knowledge..... I find lots of things there to be very helpful. Best wishes.
@goatblessings thanks! I feel like I've just been babying this doe along. Some of it is definitely caused by the fact that I'm still learning, but if she continues to have issues the rest of my goats aren't struggling with, she will be going to a new home. This year I will be really assessing if I want to keep her or not, based on her performance as a second freshener.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts