Is Lysigine OK for Preg. Doe?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Caileigh Jane Smith, Jan 21, 2021.

1. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    My doe Pippi had some issues with staph this past year. Nothing too major, and I think it was caused by her immune system getting overtaxed. I have addressed what I believe to be the underlying issues there, so hopefully, her next freshening will be better. But I thought it might be wise to give her Lysigine, too. My questions about that:
    Is it OK to give it while she's pregnant?
    I believe I can just follow instructions on the bottle, even though it's for cows?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

3. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    I have been searching around the Internet. Can't find a lot of info. I am thinking, since it's a shot specifically for lactating cattle, and it's supposed to be boostered fairly often, it should be fine. But I am a little hesitant.

4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Maybe it would be better to do before they become pregnant since lactating and pregnant are 2 different things.

toth boer goats and GoofyGoat like this.
  5. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Typically it’s done before breeding. 2 cc sub q prior and a booster 21 days later . Although I do know of some breeder that do one month prior to kidding and a booster 3 weeks later. You can vaccinate young does at 6 months - then a booster and annually thereafter. If you check out Goddard farms complete protocol I believe he has it on his site. If not , he seems to be someone who may be up for your questions

ksalvagno and GoofyGoat like this.
  6. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    So sorry! It’s 5cc per dose not 2

ksalvagno likes this.
  7. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Thanks, guys! I consulted with an experienced goat person who uses Lysigin, and she recommends not using it while the doe is pregnant. So I guess I'll wait til she freshens before I start her on it.
    @goatblessings thanks for sharing the protocol! I think I will wait til after she kids, just to be extra safe, but I appreciate you directing me to the Goddard site. There's some interesting reading on there!

goatblessings likes this.
  8. goatblessings

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    No problem - I'm reluctant to give anything much during pregnancy. Noah is a wealth of knowledge..... I find lots of things there to be very helpful. Best wishes.

toth boer goats likes this.
  9. Caileigh Jane Smith

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    @goatblessings thanks! I feel like I've just been babying this doe along. Some of it is definitely caused by the fact that I'm still learning, but if she continues to have issues the rest of my goats aren't struggling with, she will be going to a new home. This year I will be really assessing if I want to keep her or not, based on her performance as a second freshener.

goatblessings likes this.