The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was walking down at our hay field and I found what seems to look like milkweed, we have 3 goats that will be eating the hay from that field this winter, I heard that milkweed is poisonous to goats and was wondering if that’s true, I don’t know how I’ll get rid of it before we bale unless I go dig up all the milkweed, anyone have any input on this?

·
Registered
791 Posts
You will probably have to dig it up. Even if you spray it with something to kill it it’s still going to be there and end up in the hay. I have it like crazy here and all the animals leave it be, I would like to say there’s a good chance the goats would pick around ir in the hay but I sure wouldn’t chance it

·
Registered
228 Posts
i didnt realize it was toxic to them.. 😬 we have it all over the place and my baby goats free range (trouble makers stay in noo fence no matter how small the hole and fat their stomachs are at the time 🙄) and idk what they're eating.. i think i've seen it in their pen before tho and they just left it alone so hopefully thats the case when they're wandering around the yard...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Different species have quite different toxicity levels. We have a lot of common milkweed. Rather than digging or spraying, we try to just keep it from spreading. You'll have a wicked time trying to actually dig up the roots of common milkweed.

In the fall we pay our kids to pull the pods and fill 5 gal buckets, then burn them (before they are ripe, ideally) or soak them into a compost tea, or donate them to a prairie. We also pluck a lot as we are out in the fields. Still, our 30 sheep and 5 goats (mostly sheep) eat it. They really like the leaves and often go for it first. Our sheep have Amazing FAMACHA scores and extremely low parasite issues...my hunch is that the two are related. Maybe they are self-medicating like they do with black walnuts, chicory, etc. Maybe not. We have seen no ill effects from this though.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Different species have quite different toxicity levels. We have a lot of common milkweed. Rather than digging or spraying, we try to just keep it from spreading. You'll have a wicked time trying to actually dig up the roots of common milkweed.

In the fall we pay our kids to pull the pods and fill 5 gal buckets, then burn them (before they are ripe, ideally) or soak them into a compost tea, or donate them to a prairie. We also pluck a lot as we are out in the fields. Still, our 30 sheep and 5 goats (mostly sheep) eat it. They really like the leaves and often go for it first. Our sheep have Amazing FAMACHA scores and extremely low parasite issues...my hunch is that the two are related. Maybe they are self-medicating like they do with black walnuts, chicory, etc. Maybe not. We have seen no ill effects from this though.
I've had a similar experience. My goats don't go crazy for it, but they do munch milkweed on occasion.
I don't have any experience with having it in the hay, though. I know the drying process intensifies the properties of some plants...so I guess the danger would be if the milkweed became more toxic after it was dried. I have no idea if that is the case, though.

·
Registered
791 Posts
My son is waiting for your picture to download to see what it is. That doesn’t look like the milk weed we have here but if you have a IPhone his app is called PlantNet I’m sure I’d you have another phone there’s another app that does the same thing. Hang on and once he gets it he will tell me what it says ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts