The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just brought home 2 wethers about 2 weeks ago. One is a little larger than his brother. His stomach looks a little bloated to me. I have him some vegetable oil but It doesn't seem like it's making a big difference. Everything else is working just fine and he's quite spunky. I gave free choice baking soda but he won't touch it.

A vet is coming by in a few days but i don't want this to get worse.
IMG_9116.JPG
IMG_9120.JPG

·
TKC Farms
2,377 Posts
he doesn't look bloated to me. he might need a copper bolus (2ml) though.

·
Super Moderator
58,201 Posts
Probably a good rumen. Don't give baking soda free choice. Only use when they are actually bloated.

·
Fair-Haven
4,609 Posts
He doesn't look bloated, the rumen is located on the left side and will get larger as he eats. DO have a good loose mineral, give your vet some poo to run a fecal to check for coccidi and worms, and offer choice hay/grain. No free choice baking soda. How old are your kids and what are you feeding?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He doesn't look bloated, the rumen is located on the left side and will get larger as he eats. DO have a good loose mineral, give your vet some poo to run a fecal to check for coccidi and worms, and offer choice hay/grain. No free choice baking soda. How old are your kids and what are you feeding?
Thank you for such a thoughtful response, that was really helpful.

They're eating nice hay and a little bit of grain with ammonium chloride and loose manna pro minerals with ammonium chloride

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,278 Posts
He doesn't look to bloated to me. Their rumen is on the left side, so if you do notice the left side is greatly larger than the right, there could be cause for concern of bloat. But judging by these photos the two sides seem relatively similar. After they eat their rumen does usually start getting larger. They always fluctuate... so unless there is a very very large difference between each side, I wouldn't be too worried. Rumens are very... odd! They make weird noises, they fluctuate in size, they are just weird. So don't be too concerned about it being active, usually when it gets a bit bigger thats a really good sign! If he is actually bloated, you can give baking soda, but with boys you shouldn't leave it out free choice. I suggest taking them off grain when they are about a year old, as long term use of this could cause UC (even with the added ammonium chloride, grain really isn't for wethers). For hay, I suggest trying to find second cutting timothy/grass hay, that is the favorite usually! I don't suggest feeding alfalfa! Definitely have a vet run some fecals. Sometimes when fecals come back showing signs of parasites, you can just freak out and immediately do exactly what your vet says without thinking about it... but if your goat is not showing any immediate signs of danger, think about it for a minute, and even go for a second opinion. In my experience, vets do like to push antibiotics and chemical wormers (which are often necessary in bad situations) but a lot of worms can be kicked out pretty easily with the natural approach depending on how quickly you catch the situation. So I ask that if your fecals do not come back to be clean, before doing what your vet has suggested, return to this forum and feel free to message me on alternative approaches. :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts