The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mini lamancha doeling. Her udders have a little milk and seem to be developing.
Her stomach seems big. I have a Alpine buck that is 2 weeks younger, but he is bigger than her. He has been sticking it since he was 2 months od. He had access to her.
Im worried that she is pregnant.
Her stomach is a bit bigger than his. She drinks milk from her mother and grazes. how much do blood tests cost?
Is there any other way to check if she is pregnant?
I can try posting pics soon.
Thanks.

·
I'm watching you
22,273 Posts
This isn't good anyway you look at it. A Mini-Mancha is not going to do well with Alpine kids, especially a first freshener. Then you throw in her young age and it just gets worse. If you can't get a blood test very soon I would Lute her to abort any kids that might be forming. Make sure that the buck can't get to her anymore. My Alpine kids are an average 10 to 12 pounds at birth they have big babies.

·
The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be
1,625 Posts
Hello,

I think the blood work is a good choice.

However, I don't think a 4 month old can even get bred (be receptive). To my knowledge does reach puberty at 7 months. I have not had one that comes into heat before 7 months. I am not saying it can't happen, but I am kind of skeptical.

Also, it could be a precocious udder. A precocious udder is where the doe develops milk without being bred. I am not sure what age the animal has to be, but I have had a yearling who had it.

Patrick

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Is it possible to do tests using her urine? Though, if not Ill have to go with blood. I hope Pat is right about her not being pregnant.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
As far as I know there is not a urine test for goats. A good vet should be able to ultrasound her, but even that can be sketchy.

Can you post a picture of her girl parts? Just get a good shot of her from behind, including the udder area with her tail up (but don't pull her tail up) you can hold it up but don't pull as that can make things look different. Some people on here can tell pretty good by how their vulva looks if they are pregnant or not. If you do think she might be pregnant I would also go the lute route. 2 cc's from your vet injected in the muscle, do be cautious though if there is any chance you are pregnant or have asthma as lute can cause people to abort and/or have bronchial spasms even if you just get some on you and absorb it through your skin.

I have an Alpine doe that has a little fluid in her teats, not anything big, but enough that when I was messing with her one day it squirted out.

·
14,615 Posts
Chances are she most likely isn't but a blood test would sure be a great start.
Does usually don't form an udder until a month or so before kidding unless she indeed has a precious udder.
Through a comedy of errors we kept a 5 mo old with the does. In July we brought home then 6 mo old "Darlin", put him next door & everyone went into raging heat.
In Sept a % doe was looking pretty rotund & we thought for sure Meatscrap had fun before he went to a terminal party.
She just happened to be in a growth spurt.

ps she was ultrasounded in Sept, supposedly with twins. by the end of Jan she still hadn't kidded.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Its unlikely but possible that she is bred. I would lute to be on the safe side. It will cause her to come into if not bred.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ill probably call my vet tomorow. How much do blood tests usually cost? Ill probably have my vet draw the blood. Im afraid I might do something wrong if I try it.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Hello,

I think the blood work is a good choice.

However, I don't think a 4 month old can even get bred (be receptive). To my knowledge does reach puberty at 7 months. I have not had one that comes into heat before 7 months. I am not saying it can't happen, but I am kind of skeptical.

Also, it could be a precocious udder. A precocious udder is where the doe develops milk without being bred. I am not sure what age the animal has to be, but I have had a yearling who had it.

Patrick
It CAN happen..... One of my bottle babies accidentally got bred at 4 months old this year when my buck jumped out of his pen and I was worried sick that it was gonna be a terrible outcome.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Yes it can happen. If it was me I would do a 2CC Sorry of lutalyce asap. Nothing is going to happen if she is not need other then her going into heat.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ill try to post pics of her parts tomorow. I really hope she isnt pregnant and she has a precious udder.
She has blue and brown eyes. ( blue in the center, brown around.)
If she has a precious udder also. She would be something.
I probably want to get her tested just in case.
I already lost a baby goat this year and I dont want to lose another.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Erica, when your doeling got pregnant did you have to give her shots to abort the babies?
sweetgoats, what is lutalyce?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Erica, when your doeling got pregnant did you have to give her shots to abort the babies?
sweetgoats, what is lutalyce?
No I didn't. I let her carry the baby and hoped for the best since the buck was tiny. Thankfully the baby was tiny and all went well with a little help pulling.

·
The more time we spend with goats, the wiser we be
1,625 Posts
It CAN happen..... One of my bottle babies accidentally got bred at 4 months old this year when my buck jumped out of his pen and I was worried sick that it was gonna be a terrible outcome.
Thank you Erica,

I tell you... I learn something everyday on this forum! Love it!!!

I am glad your doe kidded fine at just 9 months old! :eek:

Thank you,

Patrick

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Even though all went well in my situation.....I agree with the others....I would abort the pregnancy just to be on the safe side if she is preggers.

·
Registered
30,656 Posts
I agree..she CAN be bred at 4 months, a shot of Lut is best ...best wishes

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here are some pics.

Attachments

·
Registered