The Goat Spot Forum banner

Is my baby goat constipated?

1639 Views 15 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Locklyn
Hi all I have a 4 week old kid that always seems cold or maybe constipated. She hardly ever lifts her tail and seems a little hunched at times. She eats and takes a supplemental bottles 3 times a day and walks around but never see her running, doing kick flips, and being crazy. She is very small and when its cold out she will stay in the barn. Any input would be helpful.
Thank you
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
What are you supplementing with? And what is the reason for supplementing?
I haven been using whole cows milk because she gets pushed out of the way all the time by her bigger siblings and I can feel her ribs. She just seems to look funny when she stands like she cold.

Attachments

See less See more
Have you taken her temperature? Is she straining like she needs to poop or crying out in pain? If you haven't seen her poop, you can give her an enema using a small syringe without the needle. However, I have had babies hunch up like this when they get bullied by other goats or mom rejects them and butts them a lot which just makes them very sore so they won't want to jump and play. Sometimes it can cause a pretty serious injury.
An enema won't hurt...akso a temp.
Are you warming the supplemental bottles up to around 102 degrees? She may have an upset tummy from too much milk, cold milk, or just something that doesn't agree with her.
Yes I do warm bottles up. I am going to taker her temp and do an enema this am. I honestly have never seen her go poop. Mom doesn't push her away or anything but the buckling is always harassing's her.
Reactions: 1
How much are you feeding her per day?
I bring 3oz each time sometimes she won't drink it all. Her temp is 102 and I did give her an enema and she pooped. Her stomach feels really hard which makes me think constipation.
How many 3 oz or less bottles is she getting per day?
All great advice.
I would say she eats 8oz a day. I am also starting to milk my 2 does so she will be getting goats milk now.
She may need more than one enema to clean out her plumbing. I have had kids way backed up and took more than a few.
Reactions: 1
Her tail was actually up today and seemed happier not sure if its the enema working or the sunshine.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 2
Awe, that's great that she's feeling better! She's a cutie!
Thank you everyone for the help.
Reactions: 2
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.