Is my buck growing wierd???

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by heathersboers, Sep 27, 2008.

1. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    OK- I have a question?? Does anyone know about how tall a 8 month old boer buck should be??? TOTH?? Anyone-My buck La grange is 32 inches tall already- Is this wierd? Here is how he progressed-Will he keep getting taller?
    http://www.whiteoakboergoats.net/lagrangespage.htm

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    he must have some good genetics. i was wowed at his photos, he got leggy really fast. but boer are known for their fast growth rates.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is it 32 inches from withers to ground? If so he is doing alright,some have a slow down period and then kick in again................and yes....he has alot of growing left in him..........he is still a baby......just keep feeding him well ,give him his minerals and worm/vacinate..... him as needed. he looks good and you had mentioned he is as big as your mature bucks.......... :thumbup:

4. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Yes toth-it is 32 inches from withers to the ground-He is just growing so tall-so very fast- he has been narrow as a rail for most of his life and is finally widening out-there is a big difference from 7 mos to 8 mos. I was told by a ABGA judge to wether him, and that he would never sire a good kid-even if it does turn out to be true I still love my Grange--he is as tall as our grown bucks, but he has a long way to go to be as wide as they are. He is long and tall-Wouldn't that make him a pretty good wether maker??

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    heathersboers....I wouldn't write your buck off yet,,,let him mature and see, he may surprise you and fill out or I have to say may not ...............He might make a good wether maker,but no one knows until his kids start hitting the ground then are of weaning age.................... He still has alot of growing room so If you like him ..........raise him and see............. :shrug: Some judges are so judgemental and some of there decisions on goats ,I do not agree with ,because they all have there likes and dislikes as we do.........so give your buck a chance..........who knows??
    If you do not like him later you can always sell him.................. :thumbup:

6. heathersboers

heathersboers New Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Wilson N.C.
    Thanks Toth- I love this buck and couldn't sell him- the judge also said that he had too flat of a roman nose- he is the buck in my signature- I'm gonna just keep hoping that he will STOP getting so tall and get WIDE!!! "Did you hear that GRANGE ?- GET WIDE!!!!" PLEASE???

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    heathersboers........you are very welcome................his nose doesn't look that bad.............i think the judge had a bad hair day when he looked at your buck...LOL...I am hoping he will fill out for you................ usually the first year they get alot of there height and then they fill out and still grow more in height........I think the boers fill out ,widen and grow for up to 4 years.................

So good luck to ya