Is my doe prego?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by RPC, Nov 8, 2009.

1. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I am really new at this. I goat a goat for my niece for 4-H. She loved it so much that last year I got her a doe and 2 kids so she could watch them grow and all that and housed them at my sisters who also had some boer goats. Well after being weaned my sister just threw the doe along with her doe in with the buck which I wasn't happy with but whatever. Now I have the doe and her kid at my house plus one of my sisters does. My sisters doe has had a clearish white discharge for about 3 weeks and I was wondering is she going into labor or is this something else. Doe they normally have a discharge for that long. Any advise would be great. She is still eating and very active so I dont believe she is sick at all.

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!

The discharge could be a sign of infection. Most preggy does that get a discharge will have a whitish sticky looking discharge towards the end of the pregnancy.

Since you don't have a breeding date it can make the wondering that much more crazy.Most of the time it's a wait and see type thing, like "wait and see" if she developes an udder or gets deeper and wider in the belly.

I am assuming that the doe is a standard breed since the buck is a Boer....if the doe is as well then she as well as her daughter can be pregnant. Dairy breed does normally have a "breeding season" from late August to February, with the exception of Nubians as they may be able to breed earlier and later than say a Togg, La Mancha or Saanen.

3. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Thank you for your help. She is an 88% boer doe. and she was in with the buck from March 11th to July 24th. So this has been a fun game of wait in see if my math is right her due date is some where inbetween August 3rd and December 22nd. So this has really been a not exciting game. She is getting really wide and my sister said last time she kidded she didnt really get a bag on her but it was enough for the single doe she had. I have noticed a change in her bag. it does look as if it may be filling out.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well, if the latest she was in with the buck was late July...you could be seeing kids before Christmas :greengrin:

With Boers being meat and not dairy the udders can be a puzzle, with dairy goats they seem to balloon those udders in the weeks before they deliver. If you noticed the udder change on your girl, then I would say it is very highly likely that you'll be getting babies.

Some of us here are able to tell if a doe is pregnant by looking at the underside of the tail, the "pooch" is what it's called. If you can get a nice close and clear picture to post of your doe's pooch...you just might get a good many "guesses" on wether she is preggy or not, at this long since she was in with the buck, the better the chance of the "pooch test" working :wink:

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

If she has kidded before (proven) and she was in with a buck for that long chances are she is bred. Do you have any pictures of her rear end?
    beth

6. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

well I have spent about an hour trying to figure out how to upload photos to this site and it is just not working.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you need to make the pictures 430X430 pix or less and then you can use the browse button to upload.

another way is to create a free account with www.photobucket.com and then copy and paste the URL link (provided).

8. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Alright I am really confused I am trying to upload the photos again I went to photo bucket and made an account the copied the url and then copied it to where the browser button is then hit submit and its not doing anything?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    no dotn put it where the browse button is -- thats for uploading

just paste the URL in the message field (where you type)

10. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

11. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

ok so obviously that last one didnt work so I am trying it again.

Attached Files:

12. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Alright so that is one of the does that god I dont know if she is prego she is weird she got an udder 2 months ago and now it has kinda gone down. and she isnt very big but who knows maybe just one kid now I am going to try to up load the one that i have been talking about with the discharge.

Attached Files:

13. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

I hope those pix are clear enough I know they are not very big but it was hard enought to get them on here I am not going to be picky. I just hope they are big enough that you may be able to do the "pooch test". Thanks in advance to all your help.

14. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    First one I say no she doesnt look pregnant (or far enough long to tell by the "pooch test")

the second one is either in heat or pregnant

15. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Im not really sure...but i cant never tell until they're about three months along.
    beth

16. OurJourneysEnd

OurJourneysEnd New Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Caro, MI
    On a side note, I love that nobody finds it odd that people are taking pics of their goat's rear end and displaying it because other people actually want to see it.

17. Ariel301

Ariel301 Guest

Oct 12, 2009
    Hahaha it is a little weird...I just got 'pooch test' photos of my girls and I'm feeling strange uploading photos of goat butts to photobucket!

18. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :ROFL: I can usually tell with goats I know at around 2 months along, though with my older registered nigi, she looks preggy by the pooch ALL the time.

The first one is either open or newly bred. the second one I'd have to say that she is preggy...her anus isn't as tucked up under her tail like the first doe.

Besides the goat butt shots....wait til those giorls are close to delivery and you start seeing close up udder pics! :slapfloor:

19. RPC

RPC Boer Goat Breeder

Thank you all for guessing wether my does are bred or not I guess time will tell I will deffantly know by christmas whether i have babies or not. I just hate the wait.Why cant they be like the barn cats one minute they are fat the next minute you have babies running around. I never in my wildest dreams thought I would be posting pictures of my goats behinds on the internet for all to see. I will try to keep you all updated on wether or not I end up with any kids.