Is my doe too small?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by crocee, Aug 15, 2008.

1. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I have a young Saanen doe that weighs about 40lbs. She was born in March but not sure when, this would make her 5 months to almost 6 months old. She looks small and under weight. Should she weigh more or is her weight ok?
    Andi

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I don't have experience with the larger breeds as far as what they should weigh at a certain age, but I can say that my pygmy/nigi doeling was born mid February and weighs 24 pounds so I would guess that your Saanen is on track with weight....aren't Saanens slightly smaller than other breeds like Alpine, Nubian and Toggenberg?

3. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Saanans are the largest dairy breed. I am not sure what she should weigh... But I think my Munchies weigh about 40 pounds and they are late april kids.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    First have you actually weighed her or is that your estimate? they can easily weigh more then you think.

Some lines grow faster while others are slower growing. So if she is small right now it doesnt mean she wont be good size when full grown.

when did you get her?

5. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

she weighs about the same as my alpine kids born at the same time. I have been thinking my kids are small as well. I have had other breeders their does from march are already pushing eighty lbs. My kids have been treated for worms and cocci, had fecals run and everything looks normal. they get good quality orchard alfalfa mix hay from eastern washington. and a good grain ration that i mix myself. i dont know what else to do to make them grow....
    beth

6. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I weighed her with the weight tape. Shes not real happy about being picked up while I step on the scale with her so this was the easiest way to get an approx weight. I measured her around the withers as shown on a how to site.

She just seems small to me. I have seen other goats and they look much larger at this age. She eats, pees, poops and runs around normally. She gets grass hay, browse, and 2 cups of meat goat pellets per day. This is to keep the kids size down without compromising her/their health.

I got her the middle of July and the woman said she was born in March but couldn't remember when.

Unfortunately she ran with a buck her entire life and is more than likely bred. I listened to her belly with a stethoscope and there was a distinct separate very fast heartbeat. She was calm and her heartbeat was much slower as I listened to it also to make sure. We are watching her closely as we don't know when the breeding took place but kids should appear sometime before December. She was given to me because the woman couldn't take care of her and her buck friend. I do not have the buck as he was given to another. Lutelyse has not been an option as my vet will not supply it. In fact he will not supply ANYTHING unless I bring her in for a stressful visit for which he charges both arms as payment.

7. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would find it very strange if she is indeed pregnant. large breed dairy goats rarely go into heat before August and for a young doe to go into heat in the spring just after being born would be even rarer. Of course things do happen but I would be very surprised.

I have never tried to find a heart beat on a pregnant doe-- from what I have heard you have to check after they are 3 months pregnant to even hear anything. Chances are you heard the rumen. :shrug:

8. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    can you get a picture of her rear? we call this the pooch test.

9. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Oh that's not good that she might be bred! Maybe it's taking a lot out of her being as young as she is. That's to bad they left her in with the buck. I'm not really sure, but that might be why she's not growing....Good luck!

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Stacey,
    I had trouble getting past the rumen sounds but finally did. The first thing that made us think she was pregnant was a small udder forming. Her udder fills my hand when cupped. She also has inch long teats. Her udder hasn't grown any bigger in the month we have had her but her belly has. I will post current pictures in the morning. Work calls tonight. Here is a picture from when we got her. I was hoping she was unbred due to her age but this does not seem to be the case. Please forgive her dirty butt in the pooch picture. She had a rough trip and was not happy about the whole situation and butt cleaning was out of the question.
    Andi

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Well the other 2 pictures did not show so I will try this again

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    By the picture she does appear a bit small, lucky for you she isn't pure Saanen, she appears to be mixed with Nubian possibly, so you can hope that the kids she may have won't be as big as Saanen kids.

I would try and weigh her on a scale if you can, I've found that the tape isn't always as accurate as it says. 40 lbs is a bit small for her age.

If she was born in March she would almost be five months old now, so if she was running with a buck say she got bred at 3 months, that would be almost 2 months along. There is a certain point during pregnancy when lutalyse cannot be given because it will harm the doe besides aborting the kids but I cannot think when that date is right now :( Do you happen to know the breed of buck she may be bred too?

Stacey, yes dairy breeds tend to only come into heat in the fall, but I've found that with little doe kids, no matter what breed, if they are running with a buck and even if they aren't they can still come into heat even though it isn't the right season.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    first attachment didnt come through.

she is a pretty doe, certainly a mix breed but cute all the same

14. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    OK I re did the 2 pictures so hopefully they will show up now. I was told she is Saanen x Boer. Those Pictures were taken July 17.
    Andi

15. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Pooch says yes to me :(

16. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    ah the boer is what made her cycle all year round so she cycled in the "to early to cycle" for a saanen

That makes more sense now. Unfortunatly your little darling does look pregnant, again with those facts thats why it is more possible.

I would have a vet on stand by --- and pray for twins!

17. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
  18. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Susanne, I cannot say for certain, but I remember the topic about aborting bred kids coming up on a yahoo list one time. It seems to me that there was a certain point in the pregnancy when lutalyse could not longer be used because aborting the kids could actually harm the doe in the process. The subject was on kids, not adult goats.

Also, having bred Saanens myself, I have never had a goat come up with a precocious udder this early in life, even in my LaManchas and Oberhaslis whom I've had precocious quite a few times. Its always around breeding season or after that their udders start to show up, actually most of the time when they are dry yearlings. Never had one show up in a kid, and the ones that do show up, always fill up lopsided never even like her doe.

Also, pooch test is not a reliable method only if you don't know how to do it :wink: I've been using pooch for a couple years now and it does work as long as you know what you are looking for.

19. Ivy

Ivy New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Midwest
    She doent look like she has any Boer in her at all but she sure looks mixed. Could she be mixed with a small breed?

As for PG, I would be prepared for the worse and hope for the best.

If she has twins or triplets she may do ok.

My 130 pound, 2 year old, Boer just had twins and they were 2 pounds each.
    Yours may have really tiny kids too and then may do fine.

Personally, I would not try to get her to gain weight or anything now. I would wait till after she kids. I wouldn't want the kids to gain and be to big.
    I would only grain a little, maybe, in the last stretch of her pregnancy.
    I would just pasture her all the time and let her browse till she has her kids.

20. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007