The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is up with the (PTI) and (ETA)? I am new to the registered goat thing and I was looking up my new goats heritage. Unfortunately most of her lineage scores in the red on the (PTI) (ETA).

such as her DD:

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=D001444603

And her SSS:

http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=D001511816

I have goats just for fun and milk. I do also with to sell the kids but looking at the history of the goat I do not think the kids would do well in the show ring. Should I sell her kids for showing? FFA? Should I even sell them as registered if they are not scoring well?

Why are people breeding animals that are scoring low on this index? It is a BS index? As you can see I have no idea about showing or registered animals. I will enjoy my girl regardless it is just a question of what to do with the kids.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
If you look in the adgs handbook these letters are explained. The veev are very good, excelent, excelent, very good. The others are predicted transmiting and estimated transmiting ability which are low because the goats other offspeing are not evaluated.
Your goat probably is a good goat but could tell better with a picture

·
Registered
198 Posts
Welcome to the alphabet soup of registered goats :)

First of all, if you are hoping to make money back by selling kids in CA, you are probably mistaken. Some of the top genetics in the country are in CA and you will be competing with the very best.

ETA = Estimated transmitting ability. This is an estimate based on the parent's data and the breed standard. This is an idea of how much they will add or subtract from the breed based on the parents information. It is not always accurate. One of the best examples is this doe: http://www.adgagenetics.org/GoatDetail.aspx?RegNumber=L001475242 Who was the National Champion a few years ago. Even though she has a neg ETA - she clearly proved how outstanding she is.

PTI are based on the Linear and Milk records of the animals. It troubles me when you say "Why would people even breed this animals". I hope you understand how much value just having this data adds to the breed. Animals that have no PTI or no DHIR or no Linear data are the ones you really need to consider. How much value are they adding to the breed? What do you really no about these animals? Are you planning on going on DHIR and Appraising your animals so that they will have data? Neg number are needed to demonstrate which animals are superior because without them - there would be no range.

Both of the animals you picked out (the SSS and DD) are outstanding animals in their own right. You can find pictures of them on the breeder's website if you search for it. Do remember though that it is the immediate relatives which will help you best understand your animals. How are the dam and sire of your kid?

Finally the best way to understand your registered animal is to make sure that you use the ADGA programs in place for evaluation. Either take her to a show or use LA or go on milk test. All of these are tools in place so you can collect your own numbers on your animal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts