Is my goat in heat?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by moday, Nov 11, 2008.

1. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    I plan to breed a 3/4 Boer, 1/4 Alpine doe that we have in the next couple months. I've never seen her in heat, but on Nov. 9th my wife noticed a white mucous come out when she urinated. Where does that put her in a cycle? Is that the day she would have stood for a buck??? or before/after that date? We are new to this, but we do have a buck at a friends house. When should she go to visit the buck with the mucous showing on Nov 9th???

Hope to kid in late April, early May.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    My does show some discharge usually the second day of their heats....so most does cycle every 18-23 days...count ahead from the 9th for her next heat but just to be sure go with the 18 days and have her visit the buck daily for the next 5-6 days after the 26th if possible to catch her in standing heat.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Liz ....said it all... :) :thumbup:

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Isn't Liz smart :thumb:

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yepper....she certainly is.... :thumbup:

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :oops: Awww...u guys! It actually took me a few years of watching and waiting for my girls...and I still have days where they make me wonder!

7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    boy...isn't that the truth....Liz :thumbup: :) :shades:

welcome .....moday... :) I just realized that you are new here.....Hi there and welcome..to the goat spot... :wave:

8. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Actually I'm not new here, just not as regular a visitor as I should be.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Sounds like I could go 18-26 days from the 9th of November or wait an addl month???

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you are new to me...LOL... :) :dance:

10. moday

moday Member

Oct 10, 2007
    If I go 18-20 days from Nov 9th, then when will the kids come?

If I want to wait a month, then do I go 20 months times 2 from Nov 9th?

I want to kid in late April or early May to get warmer Michigan days/nights.

11. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    18 days from the 9th would be 11/27....mind you though, her heats could be 18-23 days apart...IF she is bred on the 27th she would be due(150 days) on April 26.....And if her heats are 21 days apart she would be due the 29th.....should you decide to wait until late December you'll have late May babies.....but you really should track her heat to be sure what day of her cycle she would come in on..18,19,20...etc.