The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello! We are new to goat rearing and have a doe who is almost 2. She has been in with the buck for a while now. She is a quiet doe. It has been tough for us to know if she is pregnant for sure? I have seen posts regarding the vulva and how it changes when a doe is pregnant. Can someone look at the photos I have included and tell me what they think? I can post more photos if there is something I should take a photo of. Please let me know. I am so anxious for your experienced opinions!

Thank you so much!!
Tami & Jon in Oregon

kitty bottom 2.jpg

kitty bottom 1.jpg

Attachments

·
I'm watching you
22,379 Posts
She does look to be early bred. What you want to see over the next month is the wrinkles to smooth out and the base of the tail to swell slightly.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh thank you goathiker! I have been waiting for opinions! =) So smoothing out of the wrinkles on the side of her vulva then right? I think I know what you mean. It has really gotten longer and wider it seems like. So that is why I am asking. =) Thank you so much for your help! I am looking forward to more comments and opinions! Please everyone let me know what you think! =) Tami

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I'm new to goats, but I have been staring at my goat's lady parts for 4 months (she's bred). Lol. I think it's easier to tell if you compare a pre or early bred picture of your goat with a picture 2-3 months bred. If it changes, loosen, the tip starts pointing down, the area between the vulva and anus kinda pushes out, then she's bred. To my unexperienced eyes she looks bred just because it's kinda loose, but if you've noticed changes, then she most likely is.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi again! I took new photos today of our doe Kitty. There do seem to be some changes happening on her back side. Can you all look and tell me what you think? I think she is looking different back there. We plan to ultrasound her soon but would like your thoughts. She is a quiet doe and I am not sure she really has been in heat since Oct? Not sure as she isn't really vocal....

Tami

Kitty's bottom 1-19-14.jpg

Kitty's bottom 2--- 1-19-14.jpg

Kitty's bottom 3----1-19-14.jpg

Attachments

·
I'm watching you
22,379 Posts
I'm still going to say bred. I see a lot of changes going on. Not all does have that tip drop straight down. I would like to see some swelling at the tail base but, I think it's still early for her...No more than a couple months along.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I have a doe doing the same thing and mine is about 1 month along, I am basically positive mine is pregnant. But I have never seen them change that much so fast!?!?!?! But I would say bred.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep I am I this boat too, just tryin to figure out if she is or isn't...... Never thought I would be checking my goats lady parts so much ;) keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Lol! Yes I understand! I will keep you all updated! There is definately something to watching their lady parts....there are goats that are pregnant on the farm we are temporarily boarding our goat on, and their lady parts look like what people are saying here to look for. So I will keep watching our goat and see if she is pregnant.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Oh how cool ! Congrats :) Love to get one of those ultrasound
machines ! Along with a couple of barn cams and a new barn , lolol.

BTW , your doe is beautiful :) Keep us posted !

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi 4seasonsfarm: Yes we ultrasounded her ourselves. There is a fantastic video online that helped teach us what to look for. She is definately pregnant! We saw one of the babies moving! It was fantastic! You can buy devices online on ebay. We have a friend who has a vet ultrasound that they let us borrow! We were so thankful for that!

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Laura: Yes we will keep you posted regarding our doe. Thanks for the compliment, we sure love our girl! We don't have a ultrasound machine either, we borrowed a friend's who had one. Would love to have one someday! =)

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the congrats everyone! We are so happy! Problem is now I have no idea really when she is due. She was in with the buck for a couple wks in mid Oct and then we didn't think she was pregnant so we put her back in with the buck mid Dec and took her out about a wk ago. So....just am not sure. But with what we saw I think maybe the Oct/Nov time frame would be about right. Just not sure.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts