The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am fairly new to raising goats. I have boers, 4 does and 1 buck. The does are about 16 months old and the buck is 11 months. I first noticed the buck mounting the does in February.
About 2 months ago, one of the does started to show signs of producing milk. Only one side of her udder was filling, but continued to grow in size until recently. Now it almost looks the bag is "deflating" a little. I felt her teats and udder. Nothing feels weird, no lumps or visual problems. She has had no signs of distress, is still eating and hanging with the herd. I have been checking her daily for any discharge or soft ligaments but so far nothing. I'm starting to wonder if she is even pregnant at this point. None of the other does have shown signs of udder development either. The buck was sniffing her the other day and acting like he wanted to mount her. Any ideas out there? I'm stumped.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Has your doe come back in heat? Any mucous or interest in the buck? I am beginning to think if the doe is close enough to mount - heat or not - the buck will.

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
How long has the buck been running with the does? Is he still running with the does?

If you post back end pictures, some people on here can tell if pregnant or not. Make sure the lady parts are showing.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
[/url][/IMG]The buck has been with the does since I got him in January. I have not noticed her being in heat, but I am also a newbie. No sign of discharge. This would be a first pregnancy for all of my does and I understand that they should only have one kid with the first so they may not show much. The girls are all a little plump, but of all the goats I have, the only one that really looks big enough to be pregnant is the buck.
I will try to post pics of her here.

·
Super Moderator
58,901 Posts
Usually they will start growing an udder about a month prior to kidding. But that doesn't always happen.

It concerns me that one of the girls had a growing udder and then it is going down. Hopefully no one is nursing on her.

Hard to say without pictures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It just started to fill about 2 months ago. Before that it was non existent since she had never been pregnant before. But it has only been the one side filling.

·
Registered
64 Posts
hum, it appears something is amis with the other teat. I have a doe similiar to that. She freshened 1st time and the one side of the udder was smaller and she fussed when I tried to milk that side. The 2nd time fresh - that same side was smaller - and it pretty much dried up - ( as well, as the other side :(

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
See how her vulva is pointing straight down and her anus is a horizontal opening rather than round that means she's probably pregnant. Something screwy with her udder. She may have been nursed on by other kids when younger which might have caused mastitis and damage to that side. She will either have milk or she wont at this point. If either side feels hot milk it out and treat with masticlear or pen g injectable.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked her udder and it doesn't feel hot, just like body temp. I guess I'll just keep an eye on her at this point and hopefully she'll be kidding soon. I heard there was a pregnancy test that works on goats urine. Has anyone tried this?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She went into an apparent labor, having contractions, dilated but no kids. Then, the labor seemed to stop. Her vulva returned to normal. Her udder never completely filled, but is now greatly reduced. I talked to the vet and he thinks either false pregnancy or miscarriage. I never found any signs of miscarriage, no blood or fetus around. She seems to be doing fine now. Thanks for asking. Hopefully we will have kids in the spring.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts