The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y’all
I have a doe who’s coat (not all of it) has gone from black to a reddish tint and she also looks like she somewhat of a fishtail. The thing is, while she is quite old, she is still very energetic and her under eyelid is bright pink so she’s not anemic. I gave her her annual deworming and she has supplements for copper but I was wondering if I should be worried?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
She weighs around 100 pounds and currently has alfalfa hay, black oil sunflower seeds, manna pro goat mineral supplement, and has access to a mineral block. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of her full body and it's too dark outside to take some right now. I suspect it may be copper deficiency like you said

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She weighs around 100 pounds and currently has alfalfa hay, black oil sunflower seeds, manna pro goat mineral supplement, and has access to a mineral block. Unfortunately, I don't have any pics of her full body and it's too dark outside to take some right now. I suspect it may be copper deficiency like you said
Should I give her a copper bolts? I'm worried about copper poisoning as well

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It is very very very unlikely to give her copper poisoning if she has just been on loose minerals with no other supplements. You can rest assured that a 4 gram bolus will do her absolutely no harm at all. It can take several treatments to correct the deficiency.
Phew! That's good to know. I think I'll give her a copper bolus then. Thanks!

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,487 Posts
It is very very very unlikely to give her copper poisoning if she has just been on loose minerals with no other supplements. You can rest assured that a 4 gram bolus will do her absolutely no harm at all. It can take several treatments to correct the deficiency.
With a manna pro mineral & kelp as well does that pose any difference for the unlikeliness of Cooper poisoning?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I’m going to tractor supply today to get the bolus but before I go I want to add that her skin seems very flakey and her under eyelid is now a bit pale. It’s the same thing for my other goat. I’m still thinking it’s copper but wanted to know what y’all think

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
TSC does not carry copper.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I stand corrected. I'm sorry.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts