The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My goat has been acting weird lately. She refuses to get locked in the barn at night and she goes outside just to cry. She won't stop wagging her tail and her legs are shaking. I don't know what to do. Please help!

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Start with a check up
Temp
Famancha
Rumen sound and movement
Are eyes Brite and alert?
Could she be in heat?
Or is she bred? How far along?
Peeing and pooping berries?

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Other than the leg shaking, yes that sounds like normal heat cycle behavior.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It happened a couple weeks ago and lasted for about a week. Now she is doing it again and has been for 2 days.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Heat cycles in ever 21 days on average..Mark your calendar and keep note

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So her eyes are brite and alert but I googled what famancha was and her eyes are very light pink. Should I give her deworming medicine then?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I give her molly's herbal dewormer once a week. I don't think she has lost weight and I haven't seen her poop. I have one other goat and her eyes are very light pink also.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
Might try acute dosing of the herbs and add daily garlic. I have not used Molly's but some feel its not as effective. @NigerianDwarfOwner707 may have more info on Molly's. I use Land of Havilah herbs with good success.

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'll give the some garlic and a little extra of the herbal dewormer. The problem with the fecal sample is that the vet is far away. Would it be possible doing the procedure myself?

·
Registered
3,508 Posts
I'll give the some garlic and a little extra of the herbal dewormer. The problem with the fecal sample is that the vet is far away. Would it be possible doing the procedure myself?
Doing your own fecals is definitely a good thing to have in your toolbox. You will have to have a microscope and slides (Mcmaster are easiest). But for the first time I wouldn't rely on your own results, since it takes time to learn what you are looking at.

·
Registered
29,999 Posts
You can also send a fecal into Meadowmistlabs for $6

Reactions: NigerianNewbie
1 - 20 of 25 Posts