The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to make "farmers cheese" (the kind with rennet only) while I wait for my cultures to arrive in the mail, and I have just been failing horribly. It is super duper hot up here right now (over 100 every day) and we don't have A/C. Could it be that my kitchen is just so hot that I cant make cheese in it?

The first time came out like Jell-O yogurt, the second and third times came out as a solid rubbery shell with a spongey squishy interior that oozed whey...ugh :sick:

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
ok, first of all, what's the process/recipe that you're using? are you having a hard time keeping your milk at a certain temp b/c of the heat? are you using a thermometer? and are you using rennet at the moment?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm using a recipe that my friend gave me, and I have seen a few variations of online (some say keep the milk hot for an hour, some use more or less rennet, etc). I do have a thermometer. I heat a gallon of milk to 86-88 degrees, add in 1/4 tsp animal rennet disolved in 1/4 c water, stir gently up & down for 30 seconds, then cover and don't touch it for 12 hours. The curd falls to the bottom of the pot, I cut it into 1" cubes and let it sit for 10-15 min, then gently scoop it into a colander and let it drain for about 12 hrs...last time I noticed it stopped dripping at about 4 hrs so I took it out. And I got a wet spongey mess, haha.

My house is definitely in the upper 80s or hotter inside, esp after having the stove top on.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
ok...I use this website to make my mozzarella

http://www.cheesemaking.com/Mozz-Culture.html

I do the 30 min version....SUPER easy, and I use lemon juice instead of their citric acid.

my guess from comparing the two recipes is that the milk isn't heated high enough initially and the acidity in the milk is not developing properly. the link has a culture that they add, but maybe add a tablespoon of fresh yogurt to help with the acidity?

those are my ideas.....like I said, I usually do the 30 min mozza with good success rate. I have a heavy hand, so I can't stretch the cheese properly, but the curds form!

I don't think your house is too hot. I live in the tropics...it's hot here all the freaking time, and I've made cheese. you can do it! lots of trial and error, but you'll get it!

·
1,524 Posts
Can you try draining it in cloth? And letting it drain for the full 12 hours? I use old tee shirts or sheets and hang it in the laundry room for a full 12 hours.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, thanks to both of you for the tips and encouragement! I'll try those things out!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
AdamsAcres- farmers cheese. I only have rennet at the moment, I ordered cultures but they havent arrived yet.

·
HaileyBailey
382 Posts
You can make it with vinegar too. :)

As already suggested, maybe letting it drain more through a t-shirt or pillow case would help, and you can even let it drain in the refrigerator to help beat the heat if you think that was part of the issue. :)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
yes, vinegar or lemon/lime juice is super easy, and fail proof. you can make lots of diff cheese just with that.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts