Is my kid getting enough milk?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Suellen, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    Christy goat had 3 kids :boy: :boy: :boy: :hair: we sold 2 of them as pets :clap: . Now Christy only has one. We have been milking her but not to empty. When I see the kid try to nurse she walks. I don't know if she just doesn't want someone watching or she doesn't want to nurse. The kid doesn't act like he is starving and I don't think he looks like he isn't getting enough. How can I tell if he is getting enough milk? Should I milk her to empty and bottle feed to make sure?(I really didn't want to bottle feed) Should I be concerned? I know I'm asking a lot of questions so early in the morning(for me) I need more sugar and caffiene.
    :ZZZ: Suellen

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How old is the kid? I'm sure he's nursing as he would be crying if he was really hungry, you can try a bottle if you want to, though I doubt he'll want it. Most of my girls slow up on how many times they let their kids nurse at around 3-4 weeks old, then they gradually start kicking them off at 6-8 weeks.

3. enjoytheride

enjoytheride New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Humboldt Co Ca
    Timmie who is nursing kids decides when they will nurse- she seems to allow it at certain times but walks off if they try at other times- so your kid sounds normal. If the kid's tummy is full, I would say Mom's doing the Mom thing.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that is what I was going to say.

5. Suellen

Suellen New Member

Mar 9, 2008
    Paragonah, Utah
    He is about 4 weeks old. The other night my husband and I decided to try him on a bottle just for giggles. He thought that was great! Yesterday we got proof that he is nursing. I don't know if it was Mom or Kid that decided the preference of him nursing from only one teat. Her other teat was so full! If I had known I would have gone out and milked her sooner. The kid had been drinking from both. Oh, his tummy is full. Thanks Suellen