The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I just got a young nigerian dwarf buckling about two days ago. There are a couple things that concern me.
1. He is not very vocal- we brought him home in the car but the whole way home he coughed a little and farted. Is that normal?
2. Coughing and farting- he seems to cough a lot not like a whole lot but enough for me to be slightly concerned.
3. He has flakey skin- I posted a picture.
4. He is fat- does that mean I shouldn't feed hiim grain like his previous owner suggested? Or is it a healthy rumen like a different lady suggests? Or that he is bloated?
All of my new goats are currently on free choice minerals, baking soda, electrolytes, coccidia preventative, fresh hay, and a little grain at night the get them used to our food. The lady also said he had a CD&T shot I think ill give him the booster and ill also re worm him. He just seems a little uncomfortable should I get our vet out here? Should I take in a poop sample to have the vet test for worms/ other parasites? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Registered
30,548 Posts
He is handsome. He does look a bit rough. Pos. Worms...

I would
take his temp (101.5-103.5 is normal range)
check his lower inner eye lids...should be bright pink to red. Pale lids mean anemia and treatment will be needed ASAP
Have a fecal done and ask for cocci check as well..
flaking skin could be poor diet, mites or lice, would also be cause for the course hair
if he has runny eyes/nose and cough I would treat with antibiotics
** tylan 200 for otc (1 cc per 25# 2x a day for 5 days sub q) or Nuflor for vet prescribed (3 cc per 100# once daily for five days sub q)

Bloat will feel hard as a drum on the left side...will be raised high above spine..if you thump it, it will sound hollow
Good rumen is large, soft and active...(gasses and gurgling)

·
Super Moderator
58,832 Posts
He doesn't look fat to me. But I would not feed him a lot of grain. I would also suggest not giving him baking soda free choice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts