Is Sarah about to kid or is something else going on??

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Stacyross79, Feb 11, 2011.

1. Stacyross79

Stacyross79 New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    I have a Pygmy goat, Sarah, and I can't figure out what is going on with her. She was put with the billy on September 1 but I don't know when she was bred. She has a thick yellowish discharge. She has not bagged up at all! I took some picutres about an hour ago but for some reason they are too big to upload. Is this discharge due to pregnancy or something else that I don't know about? Any input would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. Stacyross79

Stacyross79 New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    There is no oder that I can tell. She is eating and acting normally. I will try to get some pics uploaded!

4. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

Keep an eye on her! If she is about to kid, those babies can pop out pretty fast. ;) Have you felt for the ligaments on each side of her tail?

5. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your right milkmaid....brain fade here...HeHe...if she was put in with a buck... at the beginning of sept...and has a discharge .....she could very well pop soon.... :wink: :D

6. Stacyross79

Stacyross79 New Member

Feb 11, 2011
  7. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yep ...you did it right .... she is a really nice Doe....she sure looks to be close... but ...her udder doesn't look very full.....or it is just all her hair hiding it...

are these recent pics of her?

8. Stacyross79

Stacyross79 New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    I took these pics a few hours ago. She has no milk in at all. Thats why I was concerned. It looked to me like she was losing her mucus plug but my does have always had milk before this happens.

9. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She looks young...around a year old? When was the buck removed?? I'm assuming this is her first delivery...normally FF start an udder 4-6 weeks before they are due, but I have a pygmy/ nigerian cross doe who literally has just a handful with teats and has delivered twins twice with "no udder".

Has she been in heat?
    The discharge looks similar to what my does show around their second month of pregnancy.

10. Stacyross79

Stacyross79 New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Actually she is 3 years old. She had her first kid last March and he was way too big and got stuck. We lost him. The billy was with the girls until last month. I figured she would be due in March. I never witnessed him breeding her though. Last year she uddered up before kidding. She had more discharge this evening, this time it looked more white than yellow.

11. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I'd say then that she's likely not due for another 1-2 months, if he was with her that late. The discharge is normal for a doe in early pregnancy, as long as there is no bad odor.

12. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I do agree with Liz...... :hi5:

13. Stacyross79

Stacyross79 New Member

Feb 11, 2011
    Sarah went into labor Wednesday night, the baby was stuck and we couldn't get it pulled out. We went in with gloves and lube and tried everything I have ever heard of. Its head was in the correct position but one leg was back. I lost both mommy and baby.

14. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I am so very sorry :hug: You did what you could to help both :hug:

15. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

16. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am so sorry for your losses.... :( :hug:

17. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I am so very very sorry :( Many hugs going out to you today.

18. farmgirl42

farmgirl42 New Member

Jan 2, 2010
    Eastern Ohio
    So sorry you lost Sarah and baby. :hug:

19. TinyHoovesRanch

TinyHoovesRanch New Member

AWWW OH NO :(

IM so very sorry

My heart goes out to you :(