Is scar tissue an issue? Advice on cut sheet...

Discussion in 'Meat Market' started by littleheathens, Dec 14, 2020.

1. littleheathens

littleheathens Active Member

Apr 27, 2019
    south central WI
    We had a lamb that received (Polio) treatment in early Sept. He received a heckuva lot of injections, mostly B and recovered quite well.

I wonder if there will be any noticeable difference we should be aware of in this meat. Any experience or tips?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

When is he going to be processed?

3. littleheathens

Apr 27, 2019
    south central WI
    tomorrow! i thought about just pulling the tenderloin and grinding the rest but we're interested to know of people's experience with this. he has been growing strong/normal about 3 months now.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2020
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

If you did the injections in Sept, it should be fine. I can't imagine it would do anything to the meat.

5. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Just out of curiosity, were they IM or SQ injections?
    I don’t know anything about this, but I suspected that’s why people avoid IM injections, especially in the precious thighs?
    Maybe a meat goat person could chime in.
    @toth boer goats @Moers kiko boars @AndersonRanch
    Thank you

6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Hi for meat goats it mainly bruising the meat and causing main artery bleeds. Also goats tend to create scarring. So to create less problems in carcass, we give shots under the front arms, or in the cape of the neck.

7. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Thanks!

8. Sfgwife

Sfgwife Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2018
    North Cakalaki
    In cattle most breeders do inj in the necks. The neck is usually ground into burger even though neck roasts are nice roasts. it just discolors the meat most times.

9. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    I agree! We always go in the neck with the calf’s. I have done in the rump a few times with the cows but we keep them long enough the only thing whey are worth is hamburger at their older age.
    But I believe if there is a issue with the meat you will easily see something off. I don’t think it’s a every single shot causes a issue thing, I think it’s a more it can happen so let’s not ruin the good cuts. I have never seen anything odd in the calf’s we end up butchering and the neck we cut up into chunks to put in the grinder so we would spot something. But if it’s something you don’t want to chance do what you have to do ;)

10. littleheathens

Apr 27, 2019
    south central WI
    For best absorption (for B) we were always told to do IM, so we did. the other script was IM too. these were mostly in the neck.

i'll try to ask my butcher if he sees anything different.

11. Natalia Richards

Natalia Richards New Member

Sep 28, 2020
    Dade City, Florida
    Hi everyone! New at raising goats and when reading these posts I find myself wondering what you are writing about!

What are IM orSQ injections? How do goats or lams get polio? I thought this was a human sickness, that has vanished because of the polio vaccine? And how do the goat get it? Thank you for your information.

12. littleheathens

Apr 27, 2019
    south central WI
    Oh boy! I'll take the easy one- IM = intramuscular and refers to an injection getting poked straight into the muscle. Subq = subcutaneous and refers to an injection going under the skin to be absorbed. You would make a tent of skin, poke/inject and pull out the needle. There's, of course, more finesse to all of this but that's a start.

You suckered me into polio too! :) It's completely different than the human disease but carries the same name. Polioencephalomalacia is the goat or lamb version. Probably tennesseemeatgoats.com has a thorough explanation on it.

13. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Great job jumping on and just reading other people’s posts. You will learn SO MUCH doing so!
    My mind is currently broken from lack of sleep for the polio part, but I did want to let you know that if you find the search part (I’m not sure if your on the app or not) you can put in what your wanting to know more of and a bunch of other people’s posts and replies on that topic will come up for you. I am always using that thing and it is a load of help :)

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  14. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

A goat or sheep makes his own Thiamine (b1) as part of his digestive process. When this gets interrupted by stomach upset or illness then the animal runs out of this vital vitamin causing Polioencephilitis.
    The symptoms of muscle weakness, incoordination, stargazing, etc. mimic some of the early symptoms of human polio. (Plus it's easier to spell on a tiny keyboard)

15. Natalia Richards

Natalia Richards New Member

Sep 28, 2020
    Dade City, Florida
    Thank you!

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.