The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 year old should be due in less than 20 days. She’s huge. But not necessarily from being prego. She could be hiding a prego belly in all that bulk. Anyone have any guess?
She’ll be a FF if she is.
I’ll try and get a picture of where she should be developing an udder tonight. But doesn’t look like anything happening from what I could tell so far. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Head Eye Leg Felidae Human body
Grass Ear Fawn Rabbit Terrestrial animal
Photograph Vertebrate White Light Green
Carnivore Dog Fawn Whiskers Wood

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Eye Human body Sky Working animal Fawn
Hair Head Primate Jaw Beard
Eye Human body Goat Mammal Fence

Primate Sky Terrestrial animal Snout Fur
Vertebrate Mammal Working animal Sheep Sky

Vertebrate Sky Mammal Fawn Tree

here’s some pictures of her backside… as you can see, she has absolutely nothing going on. Lol
She’s very big, but that makes sense as she’s 2 and never had to grow kids and feed them.
I included some pics of her with the other goats for size comparison, to be fair the ones in the pictures are yearlings w/ nursing kids.
But does anyone else think she has a rather masculine face?
I don’t think she’s a free Martin as I believe she did get bred initially last year but then aborted (she had blood under her tail). She is a triplet w/ one brother. Her sister had 1 doeling last year and quads this year as a 2F.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She is fleshy in her neck and overall condition. Without a pic of her lady parts really can’t guess.
I think we posted same time- I just got some pics added. 😊
I do see all the flesh at her neck as she’s standing up. I wonder if it’s cus she’s just adding on flesh like fattening up a wether? Not spending energy on growing kids…

·
Registered
53 Posts
She is probably a just more bigger boned doe out of your herd , she definitely doesn't look very pregnant, especially with being 20 days out I would expect her bag to be something but not fully developed, but she doesn’t even look as if she’s bagging up there’s something there but not much , she may just be hiding it but she doesn’t look pregnant for just pics

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is probably a just more bigger boned doe out of your herd , she definitely doesn't look very pregnant, especially with being 20 days out I would expect her bag to be something but not fully developed, but she doesn’t even look as if she’s bagging up there’s something there but not much , she may just be hiding it but she doesn’t look pregnant for just pics
She’s definitely bigger boned. She could maybe be hiding a kid in all that, just carrying it well. Lol
If she does drop a kid or two I’ll be surprised tho.
Her mom bagged up huge as a FF a month in advance. It was like they could hardly walk… ever since then they haven’t bagged up nearly as much. 🤷🏼‍♀️

·
Registered
53 Posts
She’s definitely bigger boned. She could maybe be hiding a kid in all that, just carrying it well. Lol
If she does drop a kid or two I’ll be surprised tho.
Her mom bagged up huge as a FF a month in advance. It was like they could hardly walk… ever since then they haven’t bagged up nearly as much. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Yeah , it’s just a waiting game now . She may be one of those that only bags up around 3 days before dropping babies

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
She never started a bag last year, I think she lost her kid too early for that. (Just assuming she had been bred due to seeing blood under the tail a cpl days. No fetus found.)
She’s not looking too poofy in the back either.
I’m just gonna wait out this month and I’ll either get surprised or I won’t 😅
I guess I’m just trying to look at her and see why she can’t be bred- try to recognize it or something. I do think her face seems more masculine than my other does.. seems so silly to look at goat and decide that 😂

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would say not pregnant. If she is over conditioned ( too fat) it can affect fertility. I would put her on a diet if she were mine.
I don’t feed my goats other than a bit of grain in the evenings to give them a reason to come in at night. So a diet is easier said than done 😅
I suppose I could shut her out of the pen so she doesn’t get grain. I’d think with all the walking they do, she should be in good shape. But I do think she’s fattened up like a wether and will be ready to butcher in the fall. Which is what will happen if she doesn’t surprise me with kids this spring 😉

·
Administrator
90,435 Posts
She doesn’t look preggo to me.
If due in 20 days, her vulva would be sloppy looking, stretched, elongated. She appears to be tight and her udder would at least be filling.

By now, her ligs would be softening.
Check her ligs, if they are still really tight, she is not pregnant.

Being over weight can indeed interfere with conception.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She doesn’t look preggo to me.
If due in 20 days, her vulva would be sloppy looking, stretched, elongated.

Being over weight can indeed interfere with conception.
That’s what I’m thinking.
But being overweight shouldn’t have been the issue with her not carrying to full term/ or re breeding back last year.
She just looks different to me.
I wonder if it’s possible she shared the same sack with her brother? So got that testosterone even tho only 1 boy and 2 girls? 🤔

·
Super Moderator
15,926 Posts
If we are doing just a guess I would say no. But reach down and feel her udder. Sometimes it’s hard to see the development but can feel it. Even then though I have had a few that showed NO signs at all go into labor. But her vagina looks a bit small to me. I’m on my phone so maybe it’s not, but a lot of times with very small vaginas like that, it can be a sign of being incomplete. I would put some lube on my finger and make sure she is ok in there. Just insert your finger, you should make it at least 3-4 inches before you meet resistance. If you can’t make it that far she probably isn’t any good and a vet check would be a good idea

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If a doe is over weight, it is possible they will not conceive. There is that chance.
I don’t think she was that heavy last fall even, and definitely not the year prior.
I have a feeling something else is going on, but I could be wrong. She’s about out of time tho. Lol

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If we are doing just a guess I would say no. But reach down and feel her udder. Sometimes it’s hard to see the development but can feel it. Even then though I have had a few that showed NO signs at all go into labor. But her vagina looks a bit small to me. I’m on my phone so maybe it’s not, but a lot of times with very small vaginas like that, it can be a sign of being incomplete. I would put some lube on my finger and make sure she is ok in there. Just insert your finger, you should make it at least 3-4 inches before you meet resistance. If you can’t make it that far she probably isn’t any good and a vet check would be a good idea
I might try that this week- thanks for the suggestion.
I don’t think we are going to go for a vet check to confirm she can’t have kids when she’s had 2 years already. 🤷🏼‍♀️
I’ve tried to see what to look for for a hermaphrodite but honestly I’m not sure I could tell. And again, triplet with 2 girls and only 1 boy. And she may have conceived as a yearling but lost it early… guess she might remain a mystery!

·
Super Moderator
15,926 Posts
I didn’t do a vet check either with mine. I couldn’t even get to the first knuckle of my pinkie on her. Sadly she was one of the most beautiful and sweetest goats I have had.
Hermies they have more of a Buckley look to them, and usually they will act like a buck. That one can be hard though because I have does that I know are totally 100% perfect breeding wise and they sure loose their minds when another doe is in heat. BUT there is a Blood test for that! I don’t think it’s super cheap, but cheaper then a vet. So depending on how much you want to dig into the issue might be worth it.
But if you think she lost her kids before she should technically be good. Just something wonky going on. Could be a infection, cysts, as mentioned too fat, things like that.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I didn’t do a vet check either with mine. I couldn’t even get to the first knuckle of my pinkie on her. Sadly she was one of the most beautiful and sweetest goats I have had.
Hermies they have more of a Buckley look to them, and usually they will act like a buck. That one can be hard though because I have does that I know are totally 100% perfect breeding wise and they sure loose their minds when another doe is in heat. BUT there is a Blood test for that! I don’t think it’s super cheap, but cheaper then a vet. So depending on how much you want to dig into the issue might be worth it.
But if you think she lost her kids before she should technically be good. Just something wonky going on. Could be a infection, cysts, as mentioned too fat, things like that.
At least she’s not my favorite! That would have made it harder. Lol
I do kind of feel she has a Bucky look to her face, but I suppose it’s hard to tell with goats if they look masculine/feminine. I could also just be trying to see something to justify her not getting bred. Lol
I’ll report back after I have a chance to try and feel her. I’m interested enough to try that and see what I find. 😊

1 - 20 of 20 Posts