The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
She's very sweet and beautiful!

The application for registration filled out by the breeder for one of my Nigerians had her listed as a light buckskin. She actually has a few small areas of white -- what could have been listed as minimal white. I called ADGA and the woman I spoke with just said that if a judge questioned that it was the same goat, then I might want to look into getting it changed. She did not seem concerned.

AGS could be a different story, but you only mentioned ADGA.

I'd register her as a Saanen and not worry about it unless the judges have issues with her color -- which seems highly unlikely.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
I would call her Saanen. Too many times kids with *slight* coloring are registered Sable, but then produce white offspring when bred to a Sable buck which throws your whole breeding up program back into the experimental registry. Sables are goats with good obvious coloring, not coloring that may or may not be there depending on the length of coat. Also, if you look at pictures from Nationals you will see a lot of Saanens with dark skin, they look colored but the hair is actually white or cream when grown in. If a goat has a little too much coloring they may be discriminated against at a show but I find that highly unlikely unless she develops a large brown spot in her hair.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
That's a great point, and helps a lot! I don't intend to breed her to anyhing other than Saanens so I am expecting lots of white babies from her in future. Thanks for the help.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts