The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background: I sorting rescued these Jacobs she was very skinny when I got her about3 weeks ago I wormed her and have been feeding fodder and sheep grain she has Put on some weight.. She has filled out over her hips am ribs but her belly is getting bigger by the day she dosent get any hay

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also she has a 2/3 month old baby at side that she is starting to wean... I know very little about Jacobs Antonio would be great

·
Super Moderator
59,328 Posts
I would sure hope she isn't pregnant again but in a rescue situation, who knows. I can't tell but I would just be prepared for anything.

·
I'm watching you
22,378 Posts
Jacob Sheep are normally only seasonal breeders and lamb once in the spring/early summer. Hopefully she's just gaining and getting her rumen working again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Her belly is hard I was going to try and "bump" her like a goat to see if I could feel anything

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I think she could possibly be bred. You can do pooch checks like in goats with sheep. Is her left side or right side bigger?

·
herd: 2 billies 9 nannies ~ 1 doe expecting ~ 2 we
347 Posts
More than likely she is not bred as breedings in August and early September are less likely to occur due to the warm/hot weather.
If her baby is 2-3 months than she wouldn't have had the right weather after lambing to come back into heat and it is unlikely she would have with a lamb on her.
My ewes are just (barely) starting to come into heat now near the end of Sept. She appears to be an older ewe and as they get older their belly tends to sit lower so their hips don't fill out. I have worked with Jacobs some in the past and I would say she is just coming back around as she get better and more food in her and that she is just an older ewe compared to the rest of her flock.

Hope this helps....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts