The Goat Spot Forum banner

21 - 40 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks for the encouragement! Her respiratory symptoms are subsiding and I think she feels a little better, but she's still not eating with gusto. I reconfirmed her due date with her previous owner, and she is full term, so the vet and I agreed we should induce her. If all goes to plan (haha) she should be kidding this weekend. I think she will do better when she's no longer carrying kids. The vet checked her again, and said she was starting to dilate a little bit (I need to learn to do this), so she was probably going to kid soon, anyway. Hopefully, she will now have them when I'm here to help if need be.
I bought some Dyne, and I've replaced my Magic with that. She seems to like it better, and her poop isn't so runny now. I may give the pumpkin a try, too!

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Actually you can add the dyne into the magic @AndersonRanch does this and it's helped her does. I hope the kidding goes well and we get to see gorgeous baby pics soon!
Best of luck :)
Thanks! I started out doing the Dyne and Magic mixed together, but her poop was like tar, and I think her insides were not feeling great. She seems to be doing better on just Dyne. I've still got my Magic mix, though, in case I need to add it back in

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Here they are! It was a bit of a rough delivery, primarily because I've never had to go in and assist before...but I think I'll be better at it next time. :) Both kids are active and taking the bottle. The lighter one is the doeling, the dark one the buckling.
Sil is hanging in there. She is holding on to the placenta longer than I'd like, but it was starting to release more when I was just out there giving the kids their bottles. I gave her some banamine and preparation h rubbed on her backside, and having the pain managed has really perked her up. I've been milking her throughout the day to help stimulate contractions, and pasteurizing the colostrum to feed the kids. It is SO. MUCH. WORK! My hat goes off to all of you who do this regularly!
Sil still is just picking at her food, but at least she is picking. She is pooping frequently, so I know she has to at least be getting something. I hope that continuing to manage her pain levels will help her to feel like eating. She's got three different kinds of hay, feed, and whatever wild leafy stuff I could find in front of her, and she takes little nibbles of everything.
20210307_123131-01.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Oh they’re gorgeous! Great job on the assist, I’m sure it was nerve wracking to do, but you did it!
I’m glad she’s continuing to improve, that’s great. Keep it up. :)

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
This poor goat! Ended up with a uterine infection. The vet who had been treating her was on vacation, so I had to call around and find a different vet. They cleaned her uterus out, then started her on LA-200. I think the Nuflor was suppressing her appetite. She looked a little more perky for a few days and was eating a little better...still nowhere near normal...but last night, she was looking draggy again. The dosage the vet gave me for the LA-200 is 5ml. IM every 72 hours. This is for a 100-ish lb. goat, though I'm sure she weighs less than that now, since she is very thin from being off feed. As I've read through threads on here, I think that dosage may not be right. I don't have a relationship with this vet...she was simply the only one available when my goat had a 104.9 fever and looked like she was dying. My doe's temp. has consistently been below 103 ever since we began this new treatment, so I feel that the infection is at least not getting worse, although she obviously feels awful. I am just wondering if I need to call the vet back and discuss adjusting the dosage or...? I feel so sorry for this poor goat. She has been through the wringer.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I should add, I have been so busy with the kids that I haven't pursued some of the suggestions you all had shared for getting Sil to eat. I am going to try some canned pumpkin and dark beer today, to see if those will help. She had been nibbling hay, but last night, she wouldn't. The wild roses are leafing out here, so I cut some branches and offered those. She did eat several. She had not been drinking, so I offered warm electrolyte water, and she drank a good bit...I can tell that she just doesn't not feel well. I am giving daily probiotics and b-complex. I quit using the Dyne yesterday, as she was having very soft poops and I thought it might be bothering her. I drenched with molasses, instead, to still give her some energy. I have been giving vit. C powder, garlic powder, and herbs daily in a drench, but gave the vit. C and garlic a rest yesterday as, again, I thought they might be bothering her.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
I’d do pen g for the infection 1cc per 20lbs twice a day for 5 days. It works well. (Same dose but once a day for the long lasting) LA 200 stings and is rough on the rumen.
You might want to check her FAMACHA for a worm bloom. Is she moping since you pulled the kids? That can drag her down too.
I’d also keep up the vitamin b it’ll help with her appetite and give probios in between pen g doses for tummy upset.
I hope she feels better!

EDIT: I just remembered...DO NOT give LA200 IM, it destroys muscle!

21 - 40 of 93 Posts