The Goat Spot Forum banner

41 - 60 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 · (Edited)
Thanks, everyone! I decided to switch her to penicillin. Tonight would have been her next dose of LA-200, and if it's really messing with her as badly as I think it might be, I decided it would be safer to switch. I'm willing to try anything at this point, as she's not going to make it if she continues as she has been. She did seem brighter this evening. Not eating much at all, but she has pooped and peed. I can't hear rumen sounds when I listen, but I'm going to keep on drenching with the dark beer, as that seemed to help. How often can I do that, and how much should I give each time? I'll keep her on the probiotics and b complex. Temp. was still good. She did nibble some grass this afternoon, which was encouraging. I forced her out of the barn to get some sunshine, and she actually stayed out of her own accord for a while. I would like to find some pine for her, but I will have to scout around. All our pine trees are too tall for me to reach the branches. I'll try to get out tomorrow and see what I can get for her. She refuses most foods unless they're hay or forage of some kind. She was eating crackers for a while, but quit on those. Seems like she'll eat something a few times, then decide she doesn't want it anymore.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
You might want to check her FAMACHA for a worm bloom. Is she moping since you pulled the kids? That can drag her down too.
Her FAMACHA is, thankfully, one of the few things that does look good. Thanks for the reminder!
I wondered about her moping over the kids...she doesn't seem too distressed that they aren't with her. She had never kidded before, so I think maybe she's not as upset over 'losing' her kids as some of my other does would be. Since the weather has been wet, the kids spend a lot of time in their temporary pen, which is right outside of her stall. She can see them, and does visit them when I turn her loose to wander around the barn and get some exercise. But she doesn't seem distraught over not having them with her

·
Registered
2,462 Posts
Goats like cypress limbs also, and the trees grow really fast. This fall I planted 3 of them just to use for goat browse. The trees are nearly my height already. I sometimes go to prune pine limbs along a stretch of railroad tracks about 6 miles from here. There is quite an abundant area, much like a thicket, of various sizes of pine trees without any houses or farms close by. I cut enough for a days ration each time I go. Stocking up enough for a couple of days didn't work out so well though. Mine would rather do without or half way pick over my offering than to eat pine that had lost it's just cut freshness.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Can I give banamine (I actually have a product called Prevail, but I think it's the same ingredients as banamine) while doing the beer drenches? I think she is in pain...grinding her teeth and heavy breathing. I know some painkillers and alcohol shouldn't be used together in people, but I'm not sure about goats.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Do you have the injectable Prevail or the paste?

Of course, Banamine is a fantastic idea to improve her appetite. I'm so sorry I didn't think to recommend it sooner.

The injectable is 1mL per 100lbs subcutaneous. However, I don't have the answer about doing it at the same time as beer drenches.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Do you have the injectable Prevail or the paste?

Of course, Banamine is a fantastic idea to improve her appetite. I'm so sorry I didn't think to recommend it sooner.

The injectable is 1mL per 100lbs subcutaneous. However, I don't have the answer about doing it at the same time as beer drenches.
It's injectable. Thanks for the dosage. Hoping someone will chime in on the possible beer interaction...don't want to create even more problems for the poor thing.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Banamine is like Advil, it's a non-steroidal anti inflammatory. The warning is more for a narcoticS because of the sedation effect. I have given a dose of banamine with beer before with no bad effects.
Great! Thank you. I will give her a shot of that, then, and I hope it will help her feel more like eating.

·
Registered
30,551 Posts
I agree..beer and banamine together is fine. ..

·
Registered
30,551 Posts

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
If she seems to perk up a few hours after the injection, you could consider giving her half a dose every 12 hours just for 2 days and that may be more beneficial for her to get that rumen going and feel better. I'd stick with the full dosage for the first injection and wait 24 hours before any more.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Thanks for all the help. I gave the banamine about an hour and a half ago...hoping she'll eat at least a little something. I've got a variety of options in front of her. She had a bit of a snotty nose this morning. First time I've seen that in a couple weeks. I hope the pneumonia isn't coming back. Her temp was fine, 101.8 this morning, but now that she's got the banamine in her system, I may not notice a fever right away. I've still got the LA-200 if I have to start giving it again...but I would rather not.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Thanks for all the help. I gave the banamine about an hour and a half ago...hoping she'll eat at least a little something. I've got a variety of options in front of her. She had a bit of a snotty nose this morning. First time I've seen that in a couple weeks. I hope the pneumonia isn't coming back. Her temp was fine, 101.8 this morning, but now that she's got the banamine in her system, I may not notice a fever right away. I've still got the LA-200 if I have to start giving it again...but I would rather not.
I'd personally would stick with the pen g.
I seriously question any one who says give LA200 IM ...because it can destroy muscle tissue.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
I'd personally would stick with the pen g.
I seriously question any one who says give LA200 IM ...because it can destroy muscle tissue.
Yeah, I should have asked more questions. This vet freely admitted that she is not normally the one who treats goats. But she was the only one who could come out when I needed somebody, and I knew if I didn't get somebody out here who could clean Sil out, I would be in serious trouble. I am not sure how effective pen g is at treating pneumonia. That would be the only reason I would switch to something stronger, if I felt her respiratory issues were returning. She has eaten some, though, and looks very bright-eyed. Her nose looks clean, so I'm hoping the snot was just a chance thing. I'm cleaning her stall out again today, in case there are fumes or dust in there that may be affecting her.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
You’d want excede, nuflor or draxxin for pneumonia. They’re RX you can use Tylan 200 it’s OTC but not quite as good.
Pen g isn’t great for it sadly, but it is good for uterine infections. If she’s not showing symptoms you should be ok. Are you using shavings or straw? Shavings are much less dusty.
I hope that helps a little.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
You'd want excede, nuflor or draxxin for pneumonia. They're RX you can use Tylan 200 it's OTC but not quite as good.
Pen g isn't great for it sadly, but it is good for uterine infections. If she's not showing symptoms you should be ok. Are you using shavings or straw? Shavings are much less dusty.
I hope that helps a little.
Thanks! I may switch to shavings, just for her. I have been using hay as bedding, actually. It's cheaper to buy grass hay than to buy straw. I'm hoping the snotty nose was just because of urine in the bedding. It's dry now, so she'll hopefully be good. She did have snot again tonight, but just a little bit.
She ate really well tonight! Pretty much cleaned up the foliage I gathered for her, then followed me into the back yard, where she grazed for probably 15 min. or more. I am so thankful! I'm just going to keep on with what I'm doing and pray and hope for a recovery.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Put PDZ under the bedding and it will really reduce urine odor. You can get it at TSC in the horse area. It really works well. Sprinkle a thin layer, then top with the shavings. Every day just scoop the wet spots with a dust pan resprinkle the PDZ, put more Shavings over the spot and you’re golden. Then once a week do a complete clean to get all the poo out.
I do this and it’s easy quick and works great.

41 - 60 of 93 Posts