The Goat Spot Forum banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Put PDZ under the bedding and it will really reduce urine odor. You can get it at TSC in the horse area. It really works well. Sprinkle a thin layer, then top with the shavings. Every day just scoop the wet spots with a dust pan resprinkle the PDZ, put more Shavings over the spot and you're golden. Then once a week do a complete clean to get all the poo out.
I do this and it's easy quick and works great.
Thanks! I'll give it a shot!

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
She's still eating! Temp has been normal every time I've checked today. Her nose has been clear, a little bit of watery stuff, but not the thick snot I'd been seeing before. She is definitely more alert and eager to walk around. The weather today was pretty chilly and damp, so she didn't go outside much, but did wander around the barn and chew on the corn broom. :) It's getting harder to give her shots and drench her, which is always an encouraging sign. We're definitely not out of the woods yet, but I'm encouraged. She is clearly feeling better. I did give her .5 ml of banamine again today. I'll see if she looks like she needs it again tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Well, tonight her temperature is up to 102.6, which is higher than it has been. That's not considered a high temperature, I know, and I figure her temperature may just be rising as her rumen function continues to increase. It was 102 this morning, and had been between 101.4 and 101.8 for the past week. She did pass quite a bit of pink and white puss like stuff when she peed tonight, so I know she's still cleaning out. I am concerned about the uterine infection flaring back up again. I will keep monitoring her temperature. Does anyone have suggestions of an antibiotic that might not be quite so hard on her system, if I do have to switch to something stronger than penicillin?
She is the happiest and most alert she has been since I bought her. She's marching around, complaining that she isn't getting the attention she deserves, so I think she's feeling much better.

·
Registered
6,041 Posts
Sounds like she’s on track. I’d just continue watching her. As long as the discharge doesn’t smell like rotting meat and just smells like a goat sanitary pad she’s ok.
All antibiotics are hard on the rumen. You might want to give her some crushed ginger And some probios inbetween doses.
My Fleur liked ginger cookies so that’s a unhealthy option but it got ginger into her. (Kinda)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Sounds like she's on track. I'd just continue watching her. As long as the discharge doesn't smell like rotting meat and just smells like a goat sanitary pad she's ok.
All antibiotics are hard on the rumen. You might want to give her some crushed ginger And some probios inbetween doses.
My Fleur liked ginger cookies so that's a unhealthy option but it got ginger into her. (Kinda)
Thanks! As long as her temp stays in the normal range and she keeps eating, I'm not going to worry too much. I have given her some ginger, along with probiotics and beer, garlic, and some herbs to help her respiratory system recover. I hadn't given the ginger so far today, but may add that back into her drench. I think something I was giving her was burning her mouth a bit, I figured it might be the ginger... I think I'm just nervous at this point, worrying that something else is going to pop up. She might really enjoy some ginger cookies as a treat! She gets excited about things that come in a package.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
How is Sil doing now?
Thanks for asking! By and large, I feel like she's doing well! She's putting on some weight and she seems very chipper. I'm going to try to get her biosecurity tests done soon so I can hopefully get her out on pasture with the rest of the herd.
She is dealing with something weird in her udder. Her milk just never really came in on one side of her udder. She had so many health issues going on that I wasn't really surprised, and in fact, I thought she might just go dry and not produce any milk at all. She is actually producing, though not nearly as much as she would under ordinary circumstances. I've been massaging that side of her udder and milking it out 2x a day, and the production is increasing in that side, but I think she has mastitis or something going on in there. My mastitis test shows an elevated somatic cell count in that side. So I guess I'm going to try some udder infusions and see if I can get that cleared up.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts