The Goat Spot Forum banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Thanks for the update. Good to hear she is gaining weight, but too bad she is struggling with another issue. You are a very patient and caring goat mom. Hats off to you.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #82 ·
Just wanted to update on Sil:
She is milking almost 3/4 of a gallon a day! For what she's been through, I think that's pretty impressive. I really like her udder. It milks down the flattest of all my FFs so far. The side that wasn't giving much milk is gradually increasing in output. Her udder is looking more even each week. I won't keep her in milk for a full 10 months. I want her to have plenty of time off after she is rebred in the fall. But as long as her condition continues to improve, I'll keep milking and see if I can get her udder evened out the rest of the way.
For the mastitis, which was never really nasty, just persistent, I ended up not doing antibiotics at all. I hated to hit her with even MORE antibiotics. I ordered some Mastoblast and started her on that, gave garlic and vit. C. Mixed up an udder balm out of Bag Balm, tea tree oil and peppermint oil to massage on her udder. The last several CMT tests have looked good.
Her milk is delicious! She is such a sweet, easy-going, curious goat. I really love her personality.
I'll try to get some updated pictures to share. She still looks scruffy, but much happier than she did. The vet at one point told me she had a 50/50 chance of survival, and that was before she really got bad with the rumen issues. Everyone has been praying for and asking about my 'mama goat'. It is the sweetest thing, and I do believe all the prayers have had as much to do with her recovery as any work I did. You all have been so helpful and supportive, too, and I've learned so much on here that has enabled me to do what I've done with her. Thank you all!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
What a great update! I am so happy to hear Sil is doing so well! Pictures would be nice!

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
Wonderful update!! Go Sil!!

Reactions: MadHouse

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
I did a quick read through..wow you and Sil have been through it. A few ideas..nuflor is great for both UTI and URI. So anytime you're dealing with both..that would be my choice. Also La200 as stated is hard on the tummy and giving IM is hard on the muscle but also if given needs to be daily not every other day. Most long acting meds are not long acting with goats with a few exceptions. All in all you did an amazing job getting Sil though a hard patch!! Good job.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I did a quick read through..wow you and Sil have been through it. A few ideas..nuflor is great for both UTI and URI. So anytime you're dealing with both..that would be my choice. Also La200 as stated is hard on the tummy and giving IM is hard on the muscle but also if given needs to be daily not every other day. Most long acting meds are not long acting with goats with a few exceptions. All in all you did an amazing job getting Sil though a hard patch!! Good job.
Thanks for the response! This was the first time I've ever had to use anything other than penicillin in my goats. I should have done more research, but I was so busy I wasn't thinking quite straight. Thankfully, we made it through and I have more knowledge for next time. Interestingly, my mom was googling the side effects of nuflor, and apparently, it can suppress appetite. I don't know that it will affect every goat that way, but in retrospect, I feel that Sil's appetite did decrease even more after starting the nuflor. So I'll try to bear that in mind if I have to use it again!

·
Registered
30,643 Posts
Interestingly, my mom was googling the side effects of nuflor, and apparently, it can suppress appetite. I don't know that it will affect every goat that way, but in retrospect, I feel that Sil's appetite did decrease even more after starting the nuflor.

I have never noticed Nuflor affecting appetite but usually the goat needing it is not eating well any way due to not feeling well..so who knows for sure. But sure kicks the infection. Glad Sil is doing better!!

81 - 93 of 93 Posts