The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning when I let Uhura and her baby Quinoa out, I noticed Uhura's left eye was watering and when I got into the sun, I saw a white spot on her eyeball. Yesterday she had a snuffly nose (don't know if that could be related). She is squinting a lot, but still eating and acting normal. Could it be a cataract? Or is she going blind? She is older, I'm not sure how old, but I've had her since 2011 and she was a few years old then. So probably around eight or nine I'd guess.

Can blind goats stay alive like normal goats and/or can they live with cataracts?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
it's not a cataract those are inside the eye (behind the pupil), but could be pinkeye if it's running. antibiotic opthalmic ointment or a pinkeye puffer medicine should help. it may be just a poke in the eye but in any case the i would use the antibiotics.

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Could be an ulcer. I would get her to a vet and have him prescribe some proper eye meds. That can make the difference between a blind goat and one that has their eye sight restored.

·
The farm that Hope began
2,799 Posts
I've had this happen twice - both times it was a bit of hay that got into the eye and caused major irritation. We cleaned it out and both of them cleared up very well with no adverse effects.

A vet can tell you exactly what it is for sure and better safe than sorry :)

·
Registered
30,668 Posts
Sounds like she could have pink eye..or got something got in the eye...a vet visit you be good...
Keep the eye clean and dry...a bit of Neospordin wouldnt hurt..Take her temp to see what else is going on with the runny nose ...could be getting a bit of URI...

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
May be a scratch or something in it. Also check the 3rd eyelid, something may be in there. A vet can put drops in the eye, to see if there is a scracth or something. Sometimes, they get things in their 3rd eyelid and you really have to search closly. We had a very small foxtail, stuck in a goats 3rd eyelid, that took forever to find.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
For now, you can try putting raw milk into it, three times daily ... I would try to get a vet to see it too. :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
The only reason that I'm not saying she definitely has developed a case of pink eye is the fact that the white spot is off center. I've never seen a white spot off center like that. Otherwise, it is a classic case of pink-eye. I think I would try terramycin ointment, PDZ puffer, or spraying her eye with equal parts of Dexamethasone, Gentamycin, and distilled water for a day prior to paying for a vet visit. That is just me, though, you do what you need to do.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts