Is she in heat??

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by sunshinegoat, Nov 5, 2012.

1. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I have a 2 1/2 year old alpine doe. She kidded with the previous owner in June of 2011. She has been with us since September 2011. I have yet to catch her in a heat cycle and get her bred. She lived with our bucks last winter (after breeding season) and has been exposed to them many times. I have two bucks and wanted her bred to a specific one but now I'm at the point I don't care who breeds her, just someone, lol.
    She was acting like a tough guy with our herd queen and wagging her tail today (which for her are the most obvious signs she has EVER shown) so I put her in with the boys.
    She ran for her life, of course..but kept stopping, squatting and peeing and wagging her tail...Does this mean anything. Is she in heat? This girl has had be perplexed for a year!
    She was in with our Alpine buck for a week in early October so I thought she was bred... Is there a way (other than a lab test) to know if she is bred?
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Used2bmimi

Used2bmimi New Member

Oct 2, 2012
    Western Colorado
    Hmm strange. Ok this is a question not an answer (sorry!) but could she be in heat but too scared?/dingy? to stand? Does that ever happen? I know we hold our mares for the stud sometimes when they act like that, can that be done for goats too?

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It is possible she is in heat. Could you just have her live with the male you want her bred to for 21 days? You probably won't know the exact breeding date but at least you will know the time period.

4. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    My Alpine buck can be a little overzealous sometimes so it is possible she is scared. She's relatively young (only kidded once) and he can be a little aggressive. Ive tried holding does like you would w/ mares and it hasn't worked for me..I also didn't try very hard ;)
    In my experience, if they are in heat they will allow the buck to breed so holding has always been unnecessary, but every goat is different, especially this one...I guess I'll see what the scene is tomorrow and go from there.

5. ptgoats45

ptgoats45 Goat Girl

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Oklahoma
    She may just be coming in heat. I would leave her in there with him so he can breed her once she is in a full standing heat. If she doesn't breed I would consider seeing about having a vet ultrasound her to make sure her organs are functioning properly and that she is not cystic or does not have an infection.

6. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    Things look a little more quiet this morning. She is not running as much, she's also not being chased as much, though. She is tail wagging. No discharge or messy tail. It doesn't look like anything happened last night but I am not sure. I think I will just leave her in there for a month and see what happens. Is there a way to tell if she's already bred from the outside? She would only be a month along.

7. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    I have one doe that gets terrified of the bucks when she is in heat. She didn't get bred until she was 2 years old (I tried having her bred for a year) because she would run, run, run from the buck everytime she came into season. I finally chose to breed her to a different buck and she let him breed her right away. Apparently she is PICKY! LOL So, if I want her bred to a different buck then she wants.... I have to hold her.

8. sunshinegoat

sunshinegoat New Member

Feb 7, 2012
    I have 2 bucks as well...one is a lot more romantic than the other, lol :) maybe he can woo her ;)