The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[IMG alt="ThomasRose"]https://www.backyardherds.com/data/avatars/m/22/22564.jpg?1636639097[/IMG]

ThomasRose
Exploring the pasture

Hello all. I purchased what I was told were unregistered Nigerian Dwarf goats a while back, and they appeared to be in what I felt was pretty poor condition. I got them fed up, wormed, and clipped them this summer prior to introducing them to my new buck Baby Jack Mooney. He's loaded with lovely moonspots and smells wonderful.
My main questions are, do you guys think they look like they're actually Nigerians? I'm thinking there's some Pygmy thrown in there. I'm also not sure if they are bred. The date they were with my buck that I saw him mounting would be September 11. So it's early yet. Ms Lily (the buckskin) was exposed to him accidently prior, but I'm not sure on an exact date. She looks huge to me, but maybe she's just a healthy girl! The tricolor is Pixie Girl, and she is my queen.. I'll attach some pics and hope someone can throw in some insight. Thanks a bunch!
I have a couple where they were clipped this summer, then a few from now. Also when I had them in with the buck.

Attachments

Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
Welcome to TGS! Glad you're here! 馃

What a beautiful herd you have! 馃槏 I'm thinking both of your girls are bred, but it is hard to go by just looks. Have either of them come back into heat? You could also do a blood test to figure out if they are pregnant for sure. The caramel colored doe does appear to have some Pygmy in her. The tri color doe might as well, but it's really anyone's guess since they aren't registered.

Are your bucks and does now separate from each other? Are you offering them a free choice loose mineral? A few of their coats look a little rough - mineral deficiency.

Edit: Sorry, sounds like your bucks and does are separated. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, my boys are on the other side of the property. I have a couple spring girls I don't want near them. I was giving them the mineral block, but I read that isn't great for goats. I agree that their coats don't look their best. I started giving them loose mineral that I picked up at tractor supply. I think it's manna pro? Is there something else they should have? Or a bolus? I want to make sure they're healthy. Thank you for your response!

Registered
Yep, the blocks aren't good for goats. They are too hard for their teeth and soft tongue making it impossible to get what they need. Manna Pro minerals are okay, better than a block, but goats will usually need lots of supplementing. I recommend this mineral https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-wind-rain-storm-all-season-75-complete I have been using it for four years and love it! My goats have super shiny coats and have never needed a copper bolus. I was originally using the Manna Pro, but I have much better results with Purina. I also have to give my goats selenium and vitamin e gel ( from TSC) at least twice a year. Keep in mind this is just works for my herd and located, but I do encourage you to try out the minerals I linked above. They come in a 50lb bag, so it will last a while. I store mine in a 50lb pet food container to keep it fresh. With almost any mineral, you are going to have to supplement selenium (and maybe copper, but I don't) so I also recommend picking up some selenium gel and giving that to them. Signs of being selenium deficient includes bent tails and weak pasterns (ankles), your goats' tails look good, but pasterns maybe a little weak. Selenium is also very important for for pregnant goats. Your goats are also showing signs of being copper deficient (rough coats, black goats turn a rusty color, and fish tail - tip of tail balding), but they aren't bad so I (personally) would try the minerals first and see if that helps.

Hope this was helpful!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you SO much! I added the minerals to my TS cart, and asked for it to be shipped to the nearest store. I went and checked, and the bag they have right now is the manna pro loose mineral. It's such a tiny bag though, I'm glad to try one I won't have to replace so often. Also great to hear it's worked for others. I'm located in GA, and I'm not sure on the selenium. Another goat owner nearby said she started giving her does the gel, and it improved the rate of miscarriages her herd was having. I will add the gel tubes to my order as well! Is it OK to give the does that if they are bred? Or should I wait til they're further along? I'm not sure on that. I was thinking their coats still looked rough, so I'm happy to have a direction to go in to improve that. They were pretty boney and scruffy when I brought them home, so I'm very happy they're looking healthier and happy now. Looking forward to trying those suggestions!
Also, I haven't seen any sign of heat in either of them. I know Pixie was in heat Sept, and when she was bred the buck left some grossness on her back end. I realize she may not take, but I'm hopeful since I haven't seen any signs of heat. She's usually pretty vocal and wags her tail all over when she does go into heat. She's also turned into a bit of a brat and not wanting to be loved on as much. The other is the polar opposite. She used to be shy, but now she's sprawling out on the porch belly out wanting a scratch. I haven't seen any signs of her in heat either, but she's always been harder to tell.
You've been very helpful, so thank you so much!

Registered
Thank you SO much! I added the minerals to my TS cart, and asked for it to be shipped to the nearest store. I went and checked, and the bag they have right now is the manna pro loose mineral. It's such a tiny bag though, I'm glad to try one I won't have to replace so often. Also great to hear it's worked for others. I'm located in GA, and I'm not sure on the selenium. Another goat owner nearby said she started giving her does the gel, and it improved the rate of miscarriages her herd was having. I will add the gel tubes to my order as well! Is it OK to give the does that if they are bred? Or should I wait til they're further along? I'm not sure on that. I was thinking their coats still looked rough, so I'm happy to have a direction to go in to improve that. They were pretty boney and scruffy when I brought them home, so I'm very happy they're looking healthier and happy now. Looking forward to trying those suggestions!
Also, I haven't seen any sign of heat in either of them. I know Pixie was in heat Sept, and when she was bred the buck left some grossness on her back end. I realize she may not take, but I'm hopeful since I haven't seen any signs of heat. She's usually pretty vocal and wags her tail all over when she does go into heat. She's also turned into a bit of a brat and not wanting to be loved on as much. The other is the polar opposite. She used to be shy, but now she's sprawling out on the porch belly out wanting a scratch. I haven't seen any signs of her in heat either, but she's always been harder to tell.
You've been very helpful, so thank you so much!
You're welcome! Hope the minerals and gel work for you!! My vet told me not to give the gel to them when pregnant (risk of them miscarrying is what she told me), but I know many people that do give it to their pregnant does. I have just been giving it to them before breeding, and after kidding to be safe. Lots of people give the gel to their does about a month before they deliver so I think it would be fine to give it then. What are your thoughts on this @happybleats @toth boer goats?

You have done a great job with them already!!

Sounds like they are most likely bred then! Changes in personality can also be a sign of pregnancy! So exciting!! Can't wait to see their kids!! Are these your first pregnant does?

Reactions: MadHouse

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are. I got a trio of bottle babies in the spring then found these 2 girls nearby. I was told they were ND, but I had my doubts. I felt sorry for them when I saw them, and they took to the kids almost immediately. They were pretty wild but climb up in my lap now. I had to fix hot wire the pigs tore up in the dark and rain the other night, and the tricolor, pixie, was standing on my back while I was crouched down working in the mud. She's lots of help.
I will just go the cautious route with my girls and hold off on the gel til after they kid.
Not sure what you're asking my thoughts on. Technology is defeating me today 馃ぃ

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I did some digging, and I did scribble in my planner that our buck escaped in attempt to romance Ms Lily August 8. So her earliest due date would be around new years. At least I have some sort of a window. Here's a better Pic of her face and pretty eyes

Attachments

Super Moderator
Pretty herd!! On selenium..with sheep you do not want to treat while pregnant and can kill both mom and baby but safe for goats. Many give 30 days prior to kidding to get the new borns some passive exposure. The gel is a monthly dose while injectable BoSe is a few times a year depending on your selenium need. Adding extra vit e after dosing is always good practice.
Congratulations on your herd

Registered
They are. I got a trio of bottle babies in the spring then found these 2 girls nearby. I was told they were ND, but I had my doubts. I felt sorry for them when I saw them, and they took to the kids almost immediately. They were pretty wild but climb up in my lap now. I had to fix hot wire the pigs tore up in the dark and rain the other night, and the tricolor, pixie, was standing on my back while I was crouched down working in the mud. She's lots of help.
I will just go the cautious route with my girls and hold off on the gel til after they kid.
Not sure what you're asking my thoughts on. Technology is defeating me today 馃ぃ
How awesome! Goats sure do know how to help - lol! After hearing what happybleats said, I would go a head and give your does the gel around a month before their due dates. Happybleats is extremely goat knowledgeable and I completely trust her (more than my vet actually). My vet must of confused goats with sheep or didn't feel comfortable recommending it since BoSe is for sheep (I believe). They can actually be quite a few complications with the birth and kids if a doe is selenium deficient. I also recommend doing lots (and lots) of research on pregnant goat care, birthing, and caring for mom and kids after the birth. It always good to be over prepared than under. There are a bunch of older threads with great information and free feel to make a new thread with any questions you may have.

Sorry for the confusion, I was asking what two other members thoughts were on the selenium gel.
I did some digging, and I did scribble in my planner that our buck escaped in attempt to romance Ms Lily August 8. So her earliest due date would be around new years. At least I have some sort of a window. Here's a better Pic of her face and pretty eyes
She's beautiful! Love her blue eyes! Speaking of blue eyes, pure Pygmies can not have blue eyes, so I bet she's a mix of the two.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK I'll do that. I have a neighbor within 2 miles of me who has full size goats, and she said she'd be willing to help me with any goat delivery issues. I also called my vet since I know he has LGDs with his goats. I take my pyr to him, and he'd asked if she was a pet or was I gonna let her do her job. He's also knowledgeable on goats since he has his own herd, so I feel better knowing I have a vet and an experienced neighbor to help with any complications. I've been reading tons on the delivery and have a list of things for a kidding kit. Hopefully won't need all that, but I'd rather be prepared just in case!
Thank you Happybleats. I will do that since I have an idea when they'll be a month out. I've heard and read that pygmies can have birthing difficulties, so that worries me. I want them to have all the care they need. Maybe she'll take more after the ND side. Fingers crossed! I've wanted goats my entire adult life, and it still amazes me just how fast you can bond with them. They are so stinking affectionate and fun to be around.

Registered
*Gotta love 鈥榚m kids!*
Beautiful galls! There great critters aren鈥檛 they!? I agree, I鈥檝e given it (selenium gel) to a pregnant girl before with not problems.

Reactions: Dandy Hill Farm

Registered
OK I'll do that. I have a neighbor within 2 miles of me who has full size goats, and she said she'd be willing to help me with any goat delivery issues. I also called my vet since I know he has LGDs with his goats. I take my pyr to him, and he'd asked if she was a pet or was I gonna let her do her job. He's also knowledgeable on goats since he has his own herd, so I feel better knowing I have a vet and an experienced neighbor to help with any complications. I've been reading tons on the delivery and have a list of things for a kidding kit. Hopefully won't need all that, but I'd rather be prepared just in case!
Thank you Happybleats. I will do that since I have an idea when they'll be a month out. I've heard and read that pygmies can have birthing difficulties, so that worries me. I want them to have all the care they need. Maybe she'll take more after the ND side. Fingers crossed! I've wanted goats my entire adult life, and it still amazes me just how fast you can bond with them. They are so stinking affectionate and fun to be around.
That is very nice that you have an experienced vet and neighbor to help if needed! Sounds like you are prepared - good job! Make sure too post pictures of the kids when they arrive. Goats really do know how to steal our hearts. 馃グ

1 - 14 of 14 Posts