The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 year old nigerian dwarf doe. I'm wondering how to tell if she is polled or not. Her AGS registration says polled but ADGA papers say disbudded, I'm wondering why they have two different things. Sorry I don't have any better close up pictures haha. Can someone tell me what to look for. She seems to have two bumps where horns would be without hair on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Hmm. I have a polled buck. He has similar bumps on his head as to what you are drescribing. It's just weird about the papers.

·
Registered
355 Posts
"She seems to have two bumps where horns would be without hair on them."

Then I would say she was disbudded, my polled does have smooth rounded heads. BUT I have polled wethers and bucks that have scurs that will pop off and never grow a true horn. In their case you can feel a little rough patch where each horn would be. I was told I was a rare duck for "polled with scurs'' it doesn't usually occur. In their case their heads are still more rounded on top than a disbudded goat. The hair doesn't peak at each horn point either like a horned goats would it's more swirled around the top.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
When I am home on friday or saturday, I will get a picture of my polled buck for you so you can see the top of his head.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
"BUT I have polled wethers and bucks that have scurs that will pop off and never grow a true horn.
Polled goats would not grow scurs. Only dis budded goats would.

Polled goats typically have round bumps on the top covered by hair if they arent rubbing or fighting the hair off. Ill take a pick of a polled togg/alpine cross buck to give an idea. I will also take a pick of his togg dam who is also polled. Bucks of course will have bigger bumps then a doe.

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She had 4 bucklings this last spring and I think two of them may have been polled, I never even thought about it until more recently when I noticed her AGS papers said polled. I kept checking the boys for nubs and on 2 of them I could feel horn buds for sure but then other 2 felt more like rounded bumps. I hired someone to do the disbudding of our kids this year because we are beginners with goats, she disbudded all of them but now I'm wondering if they might have been polled...

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
All of my does are disbudded and all have a small bald spot where the horns were. If you part the hair on the top of their heads you can feel a smooth bald spot, if they are shaved it is very easy to see. I would assume if she is polled she would not have these bald spots.

I've always heard it is not good to disbud a polled kid, not sure exactly what can happen but I have heard that if you think they may be polled it is best to wait and see.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
Ok took a bunch of pictures though you cant really tell the difference. Some had little bald patches where the burns were others, looked as if the hair grew over the burns. But the biggest thing I noticed was that disbudding leaves a flat area where the horns were and polled are just nice rounded bumps about the size of a ping pong ball.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
She had 4 bucklings this last spring and I think two of them may have been polled, I never even thought about it until more recently when I noticed her AGS papers said polled.
I would say she is polled with possibly a recessive horn gene? I have a doe like this. She has the rounded bumps, however, she always kids with triplets and 1 or 2 kids - the number varies from year to year - never grow horns. No nubs or anything. The other 1, maybe 2 do grow horns. It's the strangest thing I've ever seen and goes against everything I know about horned genetics. :confused:

·
Registered
355 Posts
Polled goats would not grow scurs. Only dis budded goats would.
I wouldn't be so quick to make a blanket statement such as that. I've never disbudded a goat in my life and all my polled goats have come from my breedings. This line started with a purchased buckling from Charlie Goggin-Carolyn Eddy's line that has since passed.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to make a blanket statement such as that. I've never disbudded a goat in my life and all my polled goats have come from my breedings. This line started with a purchased buckling from Charlie Goggin-Carolyn Eddy's line that has since passed.
i have heard that polled to polled breeding often results in hermaphrodites, have you found this to be so?

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I currently have an 8 year old polled doe... she never gave me a polled kid until she was bred with a polled buck and even then only 2 of the 3 kids were polled.
The 2nd polled buck she was bred to resulted in 3 polled kids :) ALL appear to be normal and the doeling I retained has had 2 normal heat cycles as she is 6 months old.

Polled status on any goat can appear a number of ways, giraffe polled, meaning that there are rounded high bumps on the head, smooth polled meaning that there is only low bumps over the brow and scurred polled, being more common in bucks due to the testosterone, I have 2 polled bucks, one is 2 1/2 years old, bumps but no scurs, the second is 3 months old, again just bumps.
The senior polled doe I have is listed as polled with 3 registries, her dam Brush Creek Journey is polled, her sire is disbudded/horned. My doe has bumps across her brow and a break behind them, the first polled buck she was bred with was marked as horned/disbudded but was found to be polled simply because of the horned does he was bred with that resulted in polled kids.

Polled kids are easily recognized at birth... especially if you have had horned kids born, polled babies have a tennis ball head with hair that looks like fuzz, no parts or swirls and though you may feel bumps, they are rounded at the top and the skin slides over them... horned kids have pointy bumps and the skin will not slide over them.

As far as polled/polled breedings resulting in sexual defects, studies have shown that those ocurrances happen in just as many horned/horned and horned/polled breedings. :)
I have breedings planned for 2014 that include my polled senior buck as well as my jr should he be ready, the milk genetics behind both boys are the reason I got them, the polled is a plus :)

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Polled status on any goat can appear a number of ways, giraffe polled, meaning that there are rounded high bumps on the head, smooth polled meaning that there is only low bumps over the brow and scurred polled, being more common in bucks due to the testosterone, I have 2 polled bucks, one is 2 1/2 years old, bumps but no scurs, the second is 3 months old, again just bumps.
The senior polled doe I have is listed as polled with 3 registries, her dam Brush Creek Journey is polled, her sire is disbudded/horned. My doe has bumps across her brow and a break behind them, the first polled buck she was bred with was marked as horned/disbudded but was found to be polled simply because of the horned does he was bred with that resulted in polled kids.

Polled kids are easily recognized at birth... especially if you have had horned kids born, polled babies have a tennis ball head with hair that looks like fuzz, no parts or swirls and though you may feel bumps, they are rounded at the top and the skin slides over them... horned kids have pointy bumps and the skin will not slide over them.
That helps a lot thanks.

This is one of the bucklings I think might have been polled. He had bumps and one other just had what felt more rounded.

Attachments

·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Could the AGS papers be refering to the white poll marking on her head?
I don't think so because it's not where her color is described it's the portion on her registration for horns and says polled.

Does anyone know if there is a way for me to look up the horn info of her sire and dam?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts