Is she pregnant?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by preppyxcowgirl, Nov 14, 2007.

1. preppyxcowgirl

preppyxcowgirl New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Texas!
    I am new here, my name is Katie and a friend told me about this site. I have a question for y'all.... Do you think my pygmy, oreo, is pregnant?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    she could be bred or not :wink: how old is she and how many freshenings did she had?

3. preppyxcowgirl

Nov 13, 2007
    Texas!
    I do not know any of her history. I got her from the feed store, just as a pet. She was in with a boer buck and a pygmy buck, I am taking her to the vet this week, because I do not want to lose her if the boer bred her. Just thought I would post to see what y'all thought.

4. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    i think it is an excellent idea to show her to the vet. in case of an emergency you can have a c-section done. do you have the due data?

5. preppyxcowgirl

Nov 13, 2007
    Texas!
    I did not even know she was bred when I bought her. How much is it for her to have a c-section (roughly)?

6. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    i can not answer that question. it all depends on her age, how many kiddings, and the width in her pelvic. some boer buck through very big kids that even normal sized goat can have problems with kidding.

7. preppyxcowgirl

Nov 13, 2007
    Texas!
    Okay, thank you! I will just have to wait and see what the vet says.

8. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Glad to see you made it here! :D

The vet can do a ultrasound (I think is what they are called) and see if she's bred.

If she is, it would probably be best to lute her now instead of waiting till kidding time, And then the kids end up being to large. I would rather lute now and not have to have a c-section.

Thats just what I'd do. :D

9. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    fcnubian -

What is lute?

I have never heard of it -

Thanks

10. susanne

susanne New Member

Nov 12, 2007
    lutalyse is a hormon (prosaglandin) that kills the corpus luteus, (needed to keep pregnancy going)
    in genral after 2 cc im injection the doe will either abort, or come back in heat in about 36 hours.
    i would use it if the health of the doe is in danger. the risk, using lutelyse at the wrong time, can lead to a cystic doe that needs hormon treatment to become pregnant again.

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    First of all :wave: A big welcome here.
    I hate to agree with fcnubian, but I do. If it is not to late, I would abort that baby. She will have a very slim chance of living threw a delivery if she was bred to the boar. Now unfortunately you will not know what buck bred her, but that is my opinion also.
    How long have you had her?
    She looks pretty large now, and I hate to say it but I DO believe she is prego, by the butt pictures.
    Do you have any other goats?

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she is to far into pregnancy to Lut now. You have to do it before the 1st month is over.

And since she looks to be showing her pregnancy she looks to be 2-3 months along.

Now check out this:

http://www.bouncinghoofs.com/fetusdev.html

After you see the utra sound you can tell how far along she looks to be.

13. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

i hate to say the same thing but there is even the slightest chance she was bred to that boer buck i would have her abort the pregnancy. more then likey the boer buck was the dominant buck in the pen abd he is the one who bred her. i don;t know if a vet can tell the size f a kid from an ultrasound.

beth

14. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I have heard that you can lute any time during pregnancy. It'll be harder on the doe now to lute but I'd rather lute now and then have her possibly die during kidding or have to have a c-section.

15. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    have either of you experience with Luting a doe that late in pregnancy?

I am not a fan of luting a doe in any cercumstance but I differ to someone who has succesful experience in an area I do not.

16. preppyxcowgirl

Nov 13, 2007
    Texas!
    I have had her about 3-3 1/2 months, and I do not know how long she was there before I got her. I am taking her to the vet on Monday, so I guess we will see what he says.

17. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well you will know in a month in a half for sure.

18. preppyxcowgirl

Nov 13, 2007
    Texas!
    I just do not want her to be at risk if she is bred by the boer. If it is the pygmy, thats fine, but I do not know which one bred her..... can they tell at all by a sonogram?

19. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    Ok I can't find where I saw info on that. If I come across it I'll post it here.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    that I don't know. IF they see floppy ears - not that I am not sure if they can see or not - then it was a boer.

Right now if you Lutysyte (sp?) her she could still have complications if she doesn't dialate properlly because she isn;t ready.

But then again I have never done it so someone who has successfully should be the one telling you how it really works this late in gestation.

the only thing I remember is that someone told me it was dangerous to lut after 3 weeks gestation. There was reasons but I can't remember right now what they were.

Since I never plan to use it I didn't think to really hang on to the information