The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new here, my name is Katie and a friend told me about this site. I have a question for y'all.... Do you think my pygmy, oreo, is pregnant?






 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do not know any of her history. I got her from the feed store, just as a pet. She was in with a boer buck and a pygmy buck, I am taking her to the vet this week, because I do not want to lose her if the boer bred her. Just thought I would post to see what y'all thought.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
i think it is an excellent idea to show her to the vet. in case of an emergency you can have a c-section done. do you have the due data?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
i can not answer that question. it all depends on her age, how many kiddings, and the width in her pelvic. some boer buck through very big kids that even normal sized goat can have problems with kidding.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
Glad to see you made it here! :D

The vet can do a ultrasound (I think is what they are called) and see if she's bred.

If she is, it would probably be best to lute her now instead of waiting till kidding time, And then the kids end up being to large. I would rather lute now and not have to have a c-section.

Thats just what I'd do. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
257 Posts
lutalyse is a hormon (prosaglandin) that kills the corpus luteus, (needed to keep pregnancy going)
in genral after 2 cc im injection the doe will either abort, or come back in heat in about 36 hours.
i would use it if the health of the doe is in danger. the risk, using lutelyse at the wrong time, can lead to a cystic doe that needs hormon treatment to become pregnant again.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,654 Posts
fcnubian said:
! :D

The vet can do a ultrasound (I think is what they are called) and see if she's bred.

If she is, it would probably be best to lute her now instead of waiting till kidding time, And then the kids end up being to large. I would rather lute now and not have to have a c-section.

Thats just what I'd do. :D
First of all :wave: A big welcome here.
I hate to agree with fcnubian, but I do. If it is not to late, I would abort that baby. She will have a very slim chance of living threw a delivery if she was bred to the boar. Now unfortunately you will not know what buck bred her, but that is my opinion also.
How long have you had her?
She looks pretty large now, and I hate to say it but I DO believe she is prego, by the butt pictures.
Do you have any other goats?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,236 Posts
she is to far into pregnancy to Lut now. You have to do it before the 1st month is over.

And since she looks to be showing her pregnancy she looks to be 2-3 months along.

Now check out this:

http://www.bouncinghoofs.com/fetusdev.html

After you see the utra sound you can tell how far along she looks to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,899 Posts
i hate to say the same thing but there is even the slightest chance she was bred to that boer buck i would have her abort the pregnancy. more then likey the boer buck was the dominant buck in the pen abd he is the one who bred her. i don;t know if a vet can tell the size f a kid from an ultrasound.


beth
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
I have heard that you can lute any time during pregnancy. It'll be harder on the doe now to lute but I'd rather lute now and then have her possibly die during kidding or have to have a c-section.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,236 Posts
have either of you experience with Luting a doe that late in pregnancy?


I am not a fan of luting a doe in any cercumstance but I differ to someone who has succesful experience in an area I do not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have had her about 3-3 1/2 months, and I do not know how long she was there before I got her. I am taking her to the vet on Monday, so I guess we will see what he says.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just do not want her to be at risk if she is bred by the boer. If it is the pygmy, thats fine, but I do not know which one bred her..... can they tell at all by a sonogram?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,236 Posts
that I don't know. IF they see floppy ears - not that I am not sure if they can see or not - then it was a boer.

Right now if you Lutysyte (sp?) her she could still have complications if she doesn't dialate properlly because she isn;t ready.

But then again I have never done it so someone who has successfully should be the one telling you how it really works this late in gestation.

the only thing I remember is that someone told me it was dangerous to lut after 3 weeks gestation. There was reasons but I can't remember right now what they were.

Since I never plan to use it I didn't think to really hang on to the information
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top