Is she pregnant?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Potemkyn, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    We have a doeling, Psyche, that just turned a year old a few weeks back. She was with a buck for about five weeks back in Oct/Nov. I never saw him mount her succesfully, but then I was only around for about two hours a day and I left them together day and night nearly the whole time.

Last month her udder grew quite large. It's also quite firm, though it seems to be just about all udder material. I was able to get a bit of the liquid out, just a drop from each side to see. She has a clear, THICK liquid. Doesn't remind me of collostrum - but it is her first kidding.

Now for the odd part. She doesn't look pregnant. In fact, her brother, Cupid, a wether looks a bit fatter than she is. :roll: I'm thinking she's not pregnant. Is there another other way to tell? Would her udder develop if she was not pregnant? I also recall her having a small clear discharge from her vulva sometime after the buck left (maybe later in December) and thought she might be cycling again. :hair:

It's also possible she didn't get bred until just before Thanksgiving - which puts her about a month or so away...

Thanks much!

Mike

2. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Does anybody have any ideas?

:sigh:

Mike

3. Sweet Gum Minis

Sweet Gum Minis New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    Easley, SC
    Well she could be. I've had many not show at all, be normal looking goats and still kid a single. She also could have a precocious udder.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Well if she doesn't start filling her udder in time to be due with the November breed date then I would have to suggest the precocious udder also.

5. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    I talke to a fella up at work who's had goats for over twenty years. It seems, in his opinion, that Psyche must have had a miscarriage. It's hard to say, we've not seen anything in the pasture or in the stalls, Nor have we seen her having contractions.

Yesterday morning, Psyche had a sticky tail and a discharge. She continued to have a discharge for the rest of the day. Just a clear sort of discharge, not much at any on time.

Not much change this morning other than no more discharge. This afternoon, Milk-maid (our second daughter), checked Psyche's teats and they were filled with colustrum instead of the thick sticky clear liquid. I checked her tummy, just in front of the udder, and could not find anything that felt like a kid. Unsure about this, I checked the three does that are pregnant and showing. I felt one of the kids kick back once, but other than that, I couldn't really tell much of a difference.

This evening, we milked her out some and now her liquid definately looks like colustrum. We strained it and put it in the fridge. Funny thing, Psyche started calling me after that. Milk-maid stayed with her, but Psyche would only be quiet while I was with her.

She's still at her regular size. In fact, this afternoon my wife said "perhaps Cupid is pregnant instead."

:scratch:

Mike

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I wouldn't milk her any more, especially if she is preggy as her teats seal off to prevent bacteria from entering the duct. Any how, to feel for a kid for sure, put your hand in front of her udder and push up and at the same time push in gently on the right side you sort of "cramp" the kid space and make the little thing move. The discharge could very well be her plug, my does lose theirs anywhere from a month to 2 weeks before they are due. And being with a buck for 5 weeks, he was sure to hit his mark as most does cycle every 18-23 days. What breed is she? I had a very young accidental FF nigi that didn't look preggy at all to me I felt her kid move 3 months into it, she just looked like a normal nigi baby but her "pooch" definately told on her, she looked the same back there as my "seasoned" does. Not knowing a Due Date will drive you nuts and not knowing wether she is going to kid or not is worse! You could end up with a surprise in another 3 weeks!

If she did abort you would have noticed a VERY messy behind on her, especially if it was a month or so into the pregnancy.

7. Potemkyn

Potemkyn New Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Psyche's Sire is a full Saanen, and her dam is one quarter nubian, three quarters alpine. Guess that means she's a mut.

I was thinking that might have been her plug today. Hmmm... I dunno. I'm glad to see the colostrum but really am confused by the whole thing. Her dam only had one kid on her first kidding, but I never saw her until after she gave birth and when she was pregnant with twins.

Gads. Now I wish I had good records like I did the year before...

I'll put her on the stand again in the morning and try feeling for that kid. Maybe I just missed him.

Mike

8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She very well could be just hiding a single and if she is a "deep" doe thats why she doesn't look preggy, my nigi, binky really didn't look as though she was big enough to twin but she did...and hid that 2nd one very well.