The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just rescued a tiny doe a few weeks ago. I think she may be pregnant. When she's facing me, the right side of her rolls around and bumps. I've read this might be her rumen. The other side also moves a bit. She's not bagged up yet, but her treats are a bit bigger, as is her belly. I've owned goats in the past, had a small heard. It's just been a while and I back then I knew the breeding dates. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
well goats carry on their right side left side is the rumen. thats not to say she isnt pregnant if she is bagging up she could be very close which mens the baby has dropped from the side to the belly

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So, if I'm looking at her head on (from the front), the rumen will be on the left? If that's the case, then on the right side, it looks like baseballs rolling around under the skin. From up to down, forward and back, with little kicks in between. She's not got a bag yet, but she's not flat either.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's the thing, she was found by animal control on a busy street. We adopted her from them. The vet there said she may be pregnant. She weighs maybe 30-40 lbs. She's not comfortable with people touching her, so I can't feel on her. It's a challenge for sure. She's got 6 inch horns, and she doesn't look like a baby. We have very limited knowledge of her. She stands about 20-24 inches high at the shoulder.

·
1,983 Posts
Well if you want everyone to take a guess at pregnancy it will take a picture.

The pooch picture. Tail up without you holding it with a view of pooch, and butt. Udder picture. Picture from behind that shows both sides of belly. Yep the pic can have all this wrapped into 1 picture. Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I can't upload a pic from my phone. I'll have to catch her tonight while she's eating. I'll get pics up asap. She moves around a lot too. Happy little thing, she actually touched my hand the other day and I was so excited lol.

·
1,983 Posts
We took in a couple of does that were not used to people. It is so exciting when they touch you! It can be a process. It took Ballerina almost a year to decide I'm not going to hurt her, and will actually talk to me now. Nugget all it took was a little cracked corn and she was over it. I hope she is pregnant for you because sometimes at kidding they can decide that can't do it without you and demand to love on you.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
She's pretty talkative, comes into the feed room with me, she's just not crazy about touching. I'm hoping she's pregnant. She's a companion for my horse, he's 27. So she's the only goat right now. I just love little goat babies. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My Mom would shoot me lol! My husband wouldn't mind, he's excited she might be bred. The kids are excited of course. My Mom, she's all about one goat, not multiples lol! The last heard started with a goat I bottle raised that came pregnant with twins when she got too friendly for the petting zoo. I'll try to get pics of Peeper, we named her Little Goat Peep.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I would be worried that she is bred so small...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't gotten an exact weight. She buddies around with the horse, he's really tolerant lol! He likes the company. I got some ok shots, I'll post when I get home.:D

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Depends on the breed. Even if she was pygmy/Nigerian Dwarf/Mini Dairy, I would in no way let her keep the baby. Too small. MAYBE if she was pygmy. But she is a little tall for a Pygmy. I would guess Mini Dairy or Nigerian Dwarf. I would not breed her if she was mine at that weight. Some pics will help. You could take her into the vet for an ultrasound, or send in a blood sample to bio tracking so you can know for sure if she is pregnant.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts