is she ready?

Discussion in 'Waiting Room' started by Hannah, Mar 18, 2011.

1. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    I have a doe and she is really close to her due date. She has most of the signs of labor but her udder has not gotten shiny it is firming up though. Will she kid soon? If so when? :ponder:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Not all does get a "shiney" look to the udder, if you 've noticed her filling, look at her teats...if they are plump and look enlarged, she'll be ready soon, if they still have the "flat" look to them, she'll take a bit longer.

3. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    ok she has large teats. when she gets really close what sign(s) do I need to look for? I noticed she was excluding herself from my horse and other goat for the past two days. This morning she had yellow discharge, but only this morning. plus the udder. I could fell the kids at about nine this morning but came to feel for them at three and could not find them. And her ligaments are gone. How soon will she have them. Do I need to stay down at the barn tonight? :ponder:

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    We can't tell you for sure when your doe will kid. Each doe is different. But on average they will kid 12-24 hours after loosing there ligs. Some will kid right after loosing their ligs or only 4 hours etc you catch my drift

5. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    I will keep an eye on her

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    sorry didnt mean to write logs - but LIGS. My phone likes to auto correct some words into what it thinks I am spelling :p

hope she doesnt string you on for a long while

7. Hannah

Hannah New Member

Oct 17, 2010
    ms
    I understand and its ok