Is she rejecting him?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by siouxray, Jan 18, 2009.

1. siouxray

siouxray New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    We have a 2 yr old Alpine doe who has kidded for her 2nd time (her first with us). She had them on Wed the 14th and they are both doing great. But, we've noticed her ocassionally butting at & biting at his tail. She does let him nurse & did bond with him & cleaned him off, etc. (our oldest son was home when they were born). She doesn't do this with the doeling so is she rejecting him? Why would she wait this long? She's not aggressive about it otherwise I'd def. take him out of there. He's doing wonderful but I don't know why she'd all of a sudden do this. He does butt her more then she does. Any ideas would be appreciated.Thanks!! Jenn

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I'd say it is probably ok. If she isn't really hurting him. Our Boer doe does that to the buckling but not the doeling and it is all ok.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    welcome. Doest she bite him hard and then nug him or just bites him while he is nursing and he keeps nursing? Sometimes a mom will do that which I dont know why.

What I would do is weight him and then in a couple days weight him again. If he isnt loosing weight good, if he isnt gaining though that is also a problem.

4. siouxray

siouxray New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Thank you :). She lets him nurse fine but bites at his tail. He's def. gaining weight which I'm happy about! I haven't asked his previous owner yet if she did that last year. Our Boer does won't be bred until later this year so this is my first experience with goats (have dealt with lots of other critters though :) ).

5. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    it could very well just be her bonding thing. I always wonder what goes through their heads :scratch:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    You usually will know... if it is rejection ...they usually do not allow them near there teat what so ever, so it sounds like it is just what she feels.... she needs to do.... if she isn't drawing blood ,hurting him...and he is staying and still nurses.... indicates that things are OK and sounds like he is thriving.....I wouldn't worry..... :hug:

I do know of a doe... that actually hates... when she has bucklings ,if she kids and has a buck in the crowd... she totally rejects it... :shocked: ...it is very strange, but maybe your doe is somewhat like that ....but she bites him lightly ...as if to say... I wish you were a doeling... :shrug: It is kinda strange though....

7. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    Something you might want to consider, is checking his side of the udder ... maybe she has a sore or something and it hurts when he is nursing, which is why she bites at him. Or maybe she does it just because he is rougher than the other one, and she is telling him to cut it out.

8. siouxray

siouxray New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    I did check her udder & it's okay. She seems to do it more when she knows that we're there - when I peek in, I have caught him nursing several times & she's fine with it. He's alot more 'butty' when he nurses though so maybe that's why. Hard to believe that they're a week & a half already!! Funny critters they are!!! :greengrin:

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
  10. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Wonderful news! Mom and babies are happy and healthy.

11. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Does she do this when she thinks he's had enough I wonder?