Is she too fat?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Cinder, Dec 26, 2008.

1. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I have two, 2 yr. old, Alpine does that I'm milking. When I got them they were just a little underweight so I was instructed to give them free choice alfalfa hay with grain each morning and night while milking. Now, I think they are both fat and am concerned as I know that's not healthy for them either.

Here is a picture of Christina yesterday. If these pictures aren't good enough I can get more today. (Do you know how hard it is to get a picture of goats when all they want to do is be in your face and have you pet them? My daughter could hardly hold them - they kept trying to turn around to see me! :) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If she's too fat how do I thin her out? She's with other goats so I can't just stop the hay. Also, she's bred for an early May freshening so she can't be showing her pregnancy already right?

2. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I think she looks good to me. Is she getting any grain now? If so, you could probably give her a little less. But to me, they look to be of healthy weight. Maybe my goats are too big though too?? :shrug:

3. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I was wondering the same thing; I have a doe due for mid April babies and shes just as fat. I don't have any space to seperate her either... she likes bossing the others around a stealing their num nums. :sigh:

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Cinder, for me it is a little had to say she is to fat, because it really has to do with her over all body size also.
    I personally would prefer a goat that is a little on the fat side -V- in the thin side.

5. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    a round belly means she is full --- but not necessarily fat. My goat Mia was getting fat and i knew it because her shoulders and rear were getting to plump (fat deposits) and I couldnt feel the ridge of her back as well as I should have been able to. Reducing her grain has helped already.

6. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    i would only grain once a day... and only if she is producing.. other than that.. the hay is fine

7. eliya

eliya New Member

Check how well you can feel her ribs - if it's hard to find them, she's too fat. A good way to check for 'fat deposits' is to feel her barrel right behind the elbow (pointy part at the top of her front leg). If you can grab a handful of fat, she's overweight.