The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what yall think? Is my almost 2 yr old Nigerian doe too small:confused:? She stands at 15-16 inches at the withers, here is a picture of her next to our 5 month old Mini Toggs.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Too small for breeding as well as just for being almost 2, I'm just worried about her having any complications with kidding in general. Their is a possibility that she may be bred. Our buck is also a Nigerian and he's 18 in at the withers. When I went to this farm to pick up the Mini Togg girls she had a Nigerian doe who was the same age as ours and she was way bigger in height and size altogether.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i would breed her sounds like your buck isnt too big. if she weighs at least 30 lbs she should do ok. make sure she is well wormed first and dont be afraid to give her groceries while she is pregnant. my philosophy is that dwarfs are supposed to be dwarfs not just small.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
She looks fine to me. :)

I think some Nigerians are just smaller than others. For example a lady I got my newest doeling from had some that were the same age but would clearly not be ready for breeding this year. But, my two doelings will be right on track to be bred in December. She also had some full grown FF does that we're waay smaller than my FF doe.

·
Registered
979 Posts
at that height, her proportions matter more than her size. Her wieght does matter, but is her rump straight vs. steep, are her hips set wide enough apart or does she have a narrow rear end with her feet close togehter. Does she have a wide and deep barrel (body) in relation to her legs....if she's wide and doesn't have an overly steep rump, is healthy and not a doe that has trouble keeping weight on, I'd breed her. I might find a buck that either comes from smaller lines or at least not one who throws large kids...but I'd get her bred. It can be hard if you wait too long to breed too

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is small in stature but has a good barrel on her and she is wide. She is about 40lbs. I just hope all goes well, if she is pg she'd be at 3 months now, but I'm not sure if she settled as she doesn't look pg yet. I bred her about 6 months ago and she never settled.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
If she is bred you will soon find out ;) she looks about as wide as the girl next to her. Like what was said above I am looking more in the hip area. I have had smaller sized girls with wide hips do better then the pigs with narrow hips lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Goats are so tricky lol. I wish there was an easy way to tell for sure is she is indeed pg. One person I've talk to said she didn't know her doe was pg till she walked out one morning and seen two brand new kids nursing on her!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Well, a grown ND doe should be around 75 lbs, so she is a bit small. Maybe she was stunted by cocci at one point or something. She looks healthy though. :) I had a ND doe that was probably 30-35 lbs that accidentally got bred when she she was a year or so. I sold her cause I didn't want to see her die, but the new owners said she kidded just fine! I was amazed, but glad she made it. Anyway, I think she could be bred fine, like others said. :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Goats are so tricky lol. I wish there was an easy way to tell for sure is she is indeed pg. One person I've talk to said she didn't know her doe was pg till she walked out one morning and seen two brand new kids nursing on her!
Take a pic of her pooch and put on here. I have no clue how these people can tell off that lol but seem to know. I go off bags. I'll be a little pervert here soon going around feeling and looking at bags :) but I think at 3 months bred they can tell by a picture.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Is she papered? She may have pygmy in her.

My Pyg, Peggy Sue, is 16 inches, too. That's the bottom end of show standard for Pygs. I bred her to a young ND mix buck who ended up being 22 inches when he was full grown, and she was ok. Had to pull her buckling, but she was a ff and only had to tug a little and he had a leg back.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
She very well could be a pyg/nigie cross. I haven't had any cocci problems here but maybe she did have it at her previous owners, I got her when she was 5 months I think. I will post some pictures of her pooch tomorrow on this thread. She is looking a little bit rounder but not really pg looking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow I'm sorry, I just realized I never posted any pooch pics like I said I was gonna! Our buck was in with her in the the beginning of July to about mid July. What do yall think?

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
She looks a little rounder then usual but not really sure what to think, can you usually tell at 3 months?

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I go off bags and she looks to be maybe starting one but I'm a hands on person on telling. I have a doe that was bred in July and she has a little start to her bag.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Take a pic of her pooch and put on here. I have no clue how these people can tell off that lol but seem to know. I go off bags. I'll be a little pervert here soon going around feeling and looking at bags :) but I think at 3 months bred they can tell by a picture.
LOL you guys I have never seen so many up close pooch shots in my life these past 5 days since I joined TGS! And they all look the same to me I cannot tell either ( I have been staring at my little goat pooches to compare, they just look like healthy little pooches to me)...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts