is she unusually small?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by dragonfly farms, Jan 13, 2010.

1. dragonfly farms

dragonfly farms New Member

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I have two mothers kid in October, one had twins and the other had twins, but one did not make it. They are now going on three months and the set of twins is growing well, good weight, around 12 pounds at 2 months. The survivor of the other set however seems to be much slower to develop. She was only 6 pounds at 2 months. Her mother is small, 16-18in. She eats well on her own, nurses occasionally. We have noticed that she has been acting a little odd lately. She has become a loner, she doesnt eat hay with the others, but tried to find greenery (not very much around right now!) I try to set some hay aside for her. There are times when i will go out to see her and she seemed sluggish.

I guess my question is, do you think she is too small for her age? maybe a dwarf? this is the first baby the doe has had, it was a rocky start, but she has been an awesome mom!

what are your ideas? I hope this is the right place to post this :)

2. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Ooh, sweetie. That does not sound good at all. I had the same thing happen to one of my lambs, he just didn't grow, and just... yeah. The fact that you say she is acting sluggish, that sends up red flags to me, and the fact that she is not eating properly... I think I would get her to a vet as soon as possible.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I would see about getting a fecal run -- kids that have cocci or other parasites can just slow down to compensate so that their organs dont fail as fast -- or she could have issues with her heart. But I would first look into possible coccidia or worms.

Also check mom's udder -- is it hard? You say she is only nursing some of the time, thats normal for you to not see then nursing past a couple weeks. I have a 7 month old who is still nursing Ijust know it because mom still has an udder :GAAH: but I never see her nurse.

If mom had issues with her milk supply that could amount ot why the kid hasnt grow well. I would pull her out and give her some grain to eat. Start out slow and gradually give her more. she could just need some extra nutrients.

4. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    I will check mom in the morning, i have not seen her nurse in a while, but have a feeling that she is occasionally. Baby Lela eats her grain, she loves it. I will see about getting a fecal done. I forgot to mention that this weekend her berries were not berries, i gave her some oats and probios and that helped for sure. We are back to berries! She has access to minerals 24/7.

5. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Sounds like a cocci overload to me. Better get her checked by a vet asap so you can start treating her. You could lose her if it's not done soon.

6. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    I would agree with the others ...cocci ..... She needs to be treated right away because cocci can kill them very quickly especially if she is not eating much

7. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    well nothing unusual in the fecal test! the only suggestion i got was to try and worm, see what that does and to make sure she gets plenty of access to grain. I did notice that one thing we over looked with her eating is that she is too short to comfortably eat so I am sure her mom was eating it all up before she could strain to get a gulp! I put a cinder block in the stall for her to stand on and have also started feeding her a little in the am and afternoon as well as dinner with mom.
    She has perked up since last weekend, her stool is berries, so i think those are good signs. we shall see what the following week brings. She was weighed today she is 6 pounds, and the two goats 1 week older than her are 11 and 12 pounds.

8. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    yeah she gains 1.5 in a week!

9. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
  10. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Congrats! I am glad that she is perking up and gaining weight. I have been worried about her.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh thats great to hear -- hope seh continues to grow like that

12. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    me too! I have been feeding her alone in the morning and evening to make sure mom is not sucking down the food. Since she is so small she only eats like a handful of food at a time. She has been more goatly since worming and has had no abnormal droppings.

My hubby says "maybe she is a late bloomer"

13. KGW Farms

KGW Farms New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Scales mound, IL
    I would still re-run a fecal on her! Are you sure the results were accurate? High-enough powdered microscope, experienced eye, etc.? Just concerned! I agree with the group Cocci is sneaky and affects young children so fast!

14. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    Sorry, it has been a crazy week here! anyway, the vet I used is my normal vet, i dont know why they would be inaccurate. Doing another sample is a good idea, maybe there is a change good or bad that they can spot. I will do that sometime next week (snowing here and the state is pretty much shut down! only supposed to get 10")

Anyway, I did weigh her last night and she was up to 7lbs, so .5 pound in a week. I was hoping for another 1.5lb gain, but hubby says i may be expecting too much and at least she is gaining weight at all. Going to have to watch her in this snow, since she will be lost if she steps in it!

15. dragonfly farms

Oct 4, 2008
    Pfafftown, NC
    well I took little Lela to the vet with me today . . . one of the dog needed to go in for shots. At 19 weeks she weighs in at a whole 9 pounds! The vet checked her over and said she seems fine, normal heart, breathing etc. He said fecal looked normal and her bright and curious eyes were clear and ready to see the world. He then said he would be more than happy to take her off our hands after he had his picture taken with her. I guess I should stop worrying about her and face the fact that she is either going to be very small or that she is going to take a VERY long time to grow!

16. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    She certainly sounds like she's as healthy and happy as any well loved goat!

Maybe she will just stay "petite" and make a wonderful little pet :love:

17. farmergal

farmergal New Member

Jun 19, 2009
    Northern California
    Glad to hear she's doing well! Sounds like you're going to have the type of goat that everyone falls in love with the moment they visit your farm... people always love the ones who are smaller than the rest, my runt is the most popular goat in my herd :)