The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to being a goat parent, I have four baby wethers all under 15 weeks. One baby started showing signs of illness and his fecal had a 31,000 count for Coccidiosis. Vet started treating him with Corrid. 10 days later, 2 started showing signs of illness. He put them back on Corrid for 21 day treatment. One bounced back, the other (the tiniest) is still showing more signs of sickness. Called vet and gave him symptoms including small fever. Thinks it's a rudiment stomachache. Put him on probiodics. Still sick last night and was told by the "Goats and Goat Lovers FB Page" that he was very sick and could die. Called the breeder and she came over to help. She gave him Dimethox for Cocci as clearly Corrid isn't working. Gave him a B-complex shot. Check his eyelids (which are very pale). I ordered Baycox for just that reason and it should be in today.
The FB page told me to deworm with Quest but that's for horses so this morning I found Safe-guard instead and dewormed them all this morning with 0.8cc's of Safe-guard. The littlest one weighs about 25 pounds.
I also gave him and his twin (also showing signs) some Red Cell (5cc's) this morning.
I want these worms gone so I don't know if Safe-guard is ineffective in my area. I sure hope I'm doing this right. I want my little guys to feel better and soon so they can be-bop all over my overgrown fields! Any help would be so welcome!

***UPDATE: Vet called to see how Rocky was doing - rechecked fecal count and said that they had very low worm count on everything but the cocci - so we're thinking that it's more a cocci issue than worms. She said Corrid works in our area on most goats as treatment and is what they use for their patients. She said we need to wait to see how he's doing in the next few days. Treatments I gave him were good and won't hurt him.

·
Super Moderator
59,931 Posts
Safeguard is dosed at 1cc per 10 lbs for the liquid and 3 to 4 times the horse dose for the paste. It still can work on tapeworm and roundworm. Ivomec and Ivomec Plus get more worms but not tapeworm. There is no one dewormer that takes care of all worms. You can use Quest but I don't know the dosage. Ivomec and Ivomec Plus are 1cc per 30 lbs orally or 1cc per 40 lbs injected. This dosage is for the 1% injectable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts