Is there a way to tell a polled goat from a dehorned one?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by jaytori220, Jun 16, 2009.

1. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    I have two hornless goats. My wethers head is normal feeling and I assume he was born polled. The older doe has two deep indentions in her head and a few small hard lumps around one side. I assume her to be surgically dehorned or disbudded. Are my assumptions correct thinking the wether is polled and the doe was dehorned either way? And is there a way to tell if she was surgically dehorned or disbudded as a kid?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    polled goats will actually have large nubs that the hair grows on unlike horned goats who have points.

Both your goats were disbudded and one just probably has a bit of a scur growing

3. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    Adult polled animals will have two raised areas that will be hairless, or very nearly hairless on the tops.

It's likely that they were both disbudded and one just has some scur type growth. Extra horn growth doesn't always break the surface. Weird, I know.

4. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    I felt around the wethers head tonight better and he has 2 good sized raised lumps covered in hair. So he must be polled. The doe is definatly disbudded as she has some huge craters between her ears.

5. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
  6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    on polled goats the nubs are closer to the eyes then on horned goats they are not between the ears.

Why dont you ask the breeder you got them from which they are. Once hair grows over a burned horned goat they can look polled

7. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    That is the easiest way to tell :greengrin:

8. jaytori220

jaytori220 New Member

Mar 24, 2009
    Melbourne, Fl.
    I didnt get them from a breeder. These were the ones I got from owners that were feeding them hamburger, ravioli, horsefeed and chicken feed and scratch and told me that ALL were "nuetered" including the does! They know nothing about goats at all and werent getting hay. The does arent fixed as they do go into heat. They told me that they all must be nuetered cause the females arent getting pregnant by the wether for some reason and he is always breeding them. YES! This is what they told me! LOL...

9. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :slapfloor: I know it's not funny at all when you realize that it's the animals that suffer because of the ignorance....but I did get a good laugh!

I agree, I do have a polled doe and her "bumps" are more like a "brow" than my disbudded buck..his bumps are closer to his ears.

10. ksacres

ksacres New Member

Oct 30, 2007
    San Antonio Texas
    :sick:

To the rest, :doh:

11. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Oh my gosh! The buck that I had, his head looked just like that! Thanks so much for posting that link, I'd always heard about polled, but never saw a good example. And it could explain why his buckling that was born a week ago doesn't seem to have buds like his sister.