The Goat Spot Forum banner

Is there a wormer that works good?

924 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  lottsagoats 
#1 · (Edited)
I need to worm my goats but what do I use? I prefer to give it SQ. I have Pygmys so how many cc's? I just dont know which wormer works good. And i noticed that my two doelings have lice already but their only a month and a half old, what do I need to use for lice? Thanks:)

#2 ·
I would give them ivermectin injectable 1% for cattle, there is generic forms of this that cost less. Normectin is one of htem. 1 cc per 100 lbs is what the bottle reads, I have been using 1 cc per 33 lbs injected sub-q at the arm pit. repeat every 10 days with the ivermectin injection 3 times in a row. But lice are fairly easy to get rid of and you can dust them or shave and spray them instead. And there are also pour-ons for lice that work well.

you can also use injectable cydectin. I have not used this. It will kill the lice as well.

#3 ·
I am a strong advocate of running fecals before deworming chemically -- my reason is that if you use a wormer not knowing for sure what worm you are dealing with, that wormer may not take care of that particular worm. So, that is not healthy for the goat, and also it is encouraging resistance to build up in the worms against the dewormer. If the option is available, I would sent in fecal samples to a vet, they usually do cheap fecal floats and can tell you which worms you are dealing with, and thus which wormer you need to use. :) Just my two cents.

#4 ·
I am a strong advocate of running fecals before deworming chemically -- my reason is that if you use a wormer not knowing for sure what worm you are dealing with, that wormer may not take care of that particular worm. So, that is not healthy for the goat, and also it is encouraging resistance to build up in the worms against the dewormer. If the option is available, I would sent in fecal samples to a vet, they usually do cheap fecal floats and can tell you which worms you are dealing with, and thus which wormer you need to use. :) Just my two cents.
I second that!

#5 ·
I prefere not to use Ivomec product on kids under 6 months old..there is reason to be concerned it can cause brain damage in some..so I use Valbazen for kids..it is oral...for lice on kids
you have afew choices... DE,,,Cylence...7 dust or paython dust...I put dust in an old sock and pat the baby avoiding the face area..

Dose..Valbazen is 1 cc per 10#
Ivomec is 1 cc per 40# sub Q ( for those over 6 months)

#9 ·
I ditto ThreeHavens- always fecal so you know what worms you need to target.

Personally, I would not inject wormer. Goats have an extremely fast metabolism. Anything injected is quickly passed thru the system before it can deal effectively with the worms. The worms get a less than lethal dose and the chance of the worms building up a tolerance is intensified.

Orally, the medication has a longer time in which to kill the worms because it is not absorbed as quickly by the body.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.