The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a doe about a month and a half ago. (5-10-13)
She is an FF and is a year & 5 months.

When I got her, she was suppose to be a month MAX bred but quickly developed an udder. She also was talking to her baby(s)

Photograph Vertebrate Organism Working animal Plant

Which led me to believe either she has a precocious udder or she doesn't have long from a fence breeding.
Around may 20th she had colostrum. I've read that if it's a precocious udder, she won't make colostrum.
Later in the week her udder was lopsided and I'm pretty sure the 3 month old doeling that she is running with, was nursing off of her.

Fawn Working animal Terrestrial animal Bermuda shorts Suidae

^^ not a very good picture but there's what it started to look like. (The right side was totally milked out, I just didnt get a picture:/ )

My question is- how long after they make colostrum would you say that they would kid?

Also, is it possible that by the nigerian doeling nursing off of her, tricked her body into thinking she already kidded?

Don't know if it matters but on may 20th and again may 23rd I had different people bounce her & they all said she has max two weeks.
Well it's been past 2 weeks..... Is something wrong??

Attachments

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
She doesn't look large enough to be that close to me, but I have no experience with Nubians, and all goats show toa different extent, so I guess I'm not much help.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She doesn't look large enough to be that close to me, but I have no experience with Nubians, and all goats show toa different extent, so I guess I'm not much help.
That is what I was thinking. But she was caving when I picked her up. Just thought it was a hay belly.
Only to realize that gay belly isn't going away.

Dog breed Carnivore Plant Grass Dog

Plant Tree Working animal Fawn Sky

There's some more pictures of her.

& even if she wasnt far enough along, why the udder with colostrum? Lol that's why I think something is wrong.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
I have no idea what going on, hope someone else has some answers for you.She's really pretty though, and it looks like she'll have a nice udder once she does freshens!

·
Registered
5,558 Posts
Lol, I just noticed the other goat in the side of the last picture; that's cute, it looks like she's wondering why no ones taking pictures of her! ( or him):)

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
have you done a pregnancy test on the doe yet? ultrasound or blood?

btw - she's absolutely adorable. I love her markings!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
have you done a pregnancy test on the doe yet? ultrasound or blood?

btw - she's absolutely adorable. I love her markings!
Thank you!!
I was going go do biotracking for the pregnancy test when I thought she was a month or so along to make sure she was bred BUT then she developed an udder. I wanted to get an ultrasound because I knew or wa pretty sure she was bred & I asked around. Plenty of people said dont waist money on that, she's going to have it/them soon.

But if she wasn't pregnant I don't believe she would make colostrum, would she....?

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
THAT I wouldn't know.....sorry! it's too bad we can't just go down the store and pick up a stick for goats to pee on to test if they're pregnant....

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
THAT I wouldn't know.....sorry! it's too bad we can't just go down the store and pick up a stick for goats to pee on to test if they're pregnant....
Right! I think that someone said they tried it.
Don't know how it worked....
Might do that one day.
For now I don't know what to do!! Ugh.

·
14,615 Posts
A head scratcher for sure on the colostrum. Chances are unless she is very close, which she is not, this isnt going to affect her well being,
She is real pretty!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A head scratcher for sure on the colostrum. Chances are unless she is very close, which she is not, this isnt going to affect her well being,
She is real pretty!
Thanks guys.
But questions, how do you know that she isn't close?
The thing that really scares me is that if she is close and the doeling nursing on her possibly tricking her, could it cause the baby to just never be delivered and [eek dot wanna say this] die inside her?

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Thanks guys.
But questions, how do you know that she isn't close?
The thing that really scares me is that if she is close and the doeling nursing on her possibly tricking her, could it cause the baby to just never be delivered and [eek dot wanna say this] die inside her?
No! I don't think it is that serious! I would tape her teats, and that will stop the little doeling from nursing altogether.

The reason that she hasn't delivered is because she is just not ready. The people who said 2 weeks were merely guessing. And if you have read waiting threads on here, you know how WRONG we can be!! Give her some time, watch her with one eye, and maybe send in a biotracking sample :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No! I don't think it is that serious! I would tape her teats, and that will stop the little doeling from nursing altogether.

The reason that she hasn't delivered is because she is just not ready. The people who said 2 weeks were merely guessing. And if you have read waiting threads on here, you know how WRONG we can be!! Give her some time, watch her with one eye, and maybe send in a biotracking sample :)
Alright!! Thanks trinity!!
How do I tape her teats? Lol I don't want to do it wrong.
And they were going by weight.

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think she still has a bit. Here is a pic of one of my ff. She still had a good solid 8 weeks to go in this pic(there wasn't even a buck on the property earlier).
Thanks for that!! She's cute:)
Do you know how long from colostrum it takes for them to have the baby, or how early they can make it?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts