is there

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by countryboy, Dec 27, 2008.

1. countryboy

countryboy New Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Is there any success with milking nigerian drawfs?
  2. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    ALOT of people milk their nigies. I am sure there are some on here that can give you good numbers as far as average production goes (wish I could help more with that :sigh: ). But Nigies have a higher butter fat content in their milk than some other breeds, so alot of people say they prefer their milk over others. :wink:

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Diddo what Hollowbead said... There are a lot of people milking nigerians and having great success. I don't milk mine on a regular basis, so I can't give you any #s. Nigerians are becoming more and more popular when it comes to milking.
  4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I have great success milking my Nigerians!!! And I LOVE doing it!! :D This coming year is when I plan on milking my does for a much longer period of time than I have previously.

Our Nigerians give an average of 1 -2 quarts a day. There are some Nigerians I know of that milk 3 + quarts and one doe in particular milked just a few ounces under a gallon when she freshened with quints. That is amazing!! One of our goals is to get high producing does like that. :) But I also want them to be able to maintain milking for a long while and not just taper off. One of our herd goals. . . . sorry about the babbling. Yes, you can milk Nigerians and it's fun. :)
  5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    of course.. i have a first freshener giving a quart a milking
  6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    oh yes, I milk my nigies. They have a much creamier milk then your standard dairy goats and they produce quite a bit for their size.

IT does take a special nack though to learn how to milk those tiny teats.
  7. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    My sister and I were the only ones that could milk the Nigerians but we switched to Mini-Nubians.
  8. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have always milked my cross girls as well as my full nigi...all have given exceptional amounts for their size and my full nigi was giving almost 3 quarts with 2x a day milkings....I love the milk and all the great things that are made with it!