Is this a good diet for a pregnant doe?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Sara, Nov 21, 2007.

1. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    Holly gets half a cup of Show Goat, half a cup of Purina Goat Chow, a handfull of BOSS and half a cup of alfalfa pellets. She gets this on the stanchion while I pet her and get her used to the stanchion. Then she has access to free choice grass hay, mineral salt, and water. Also baking soda.

Is this good enough, I start the grain when she hit the two month mark.

2. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Sara. I forget, how old is she? That seems like a lot of grain to me, but I am one that does not feed it unless they are in the last stage of pregnancy or nursing. What kind is she? A milker I can see feeding that much, but not the corn
    I also NEVER EVER feed corn. I have had a lot of friends that feed the corn and it rots in the rumen before it can all be digested. I have seen a lot of Nercopry (sp) reports, that they had WAY to much corn in their system. It is a HOT feed and it is really hard to break down.
    Now that all said, as I always say that is what works for ME. Lots of the Vets around tell the people to STOP feeding corn to goats.

3. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    She will be 2 years old in March. Also she's a dairy goat, Nigerian Dwarf but still a dairy goat. And it's also really cold and I noticed her losing some condition before.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If she is doing well on what you are feeding her and not getting fat...round is to be expected the further along she is, if you run your hand over her back and can comfortably feel her spine without having to "look" for it then she is getting enough. My girls and boys get free choice mixed grass hay as well as minerals and water. The grain I feed is Caprine Challenger 18% , my does get 1/2 cup twice a day and I don't increase until a week before they are due...you really don't want to chance an over sized kid. My adult buck gets 1/4 cup grain 2x day and Chief..8 months old gets 1/2 cup twice day with the bedtime grain supplemented with a high protein additive as he had issues with cocci and I'm trying to put some meat on his bones.

Also, in cold weather the more hay she has to eat will keep her warmer than grain...the roughage will burn more calories to digest therefore generating heat. The grain doesn't take as much to digest so to keep her warm...give her more hay. btw..when is she due?

5. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    She is due some where around 2/12/08 Also she gets it once a day.

6. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Sounds good to me. Like Liz said, if she isn't getting "pudgy" on it then it's probably the right amount. I was assuming she got it twice a day and that would have been too much, but if it is once a day it sounds fine to me.

7. Sara

Sara Guest

Oct 4, 2007
    Yeah she gets it once a day, I'm too lazy to do it twice a day. That would mean getting close enough to her with the leash, she knows that means I'll be walking her, then lifting her onto the stanchion and yeah. I'd rather hang out with them and watch them play. :D

8. Muddy Creek Farm

Muddy Creek Farm New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Keokuk, Iowa
    I hear ya, if I had to catch my "wild ones" twice a day UGH! But I don't have to catch my wild ones cuz the bucks are gang feed =)

I do right now though cuz their stinkin SICK grrr.

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    once a day is fine. I also only feed grain once a day. Hay is twice a day.

I know a lot of people think for a small breed they should only have a small amount of grain but their little bodies seem to need the grain especially during pregnancy.

10. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    if they look good & are healthy then i would say you are doing good. alot depends on where you live also. i have to agree if it works for you then it is fine.